How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my friend was talked into paying for a pickup for her boyfriend

This answer was rated:

my friend was talked into paying for a pickup for her boyfriend with her credit card. she payed for it with a credit card check. he had a good job and promises to pay her back in a couple months. The pickup was to be in both their names but he managed to get it just in his name. The auto dealer knew that she was paying for it. The pickup was bought in august and he was laid off or quit a couple weeks after purchase.He has not worked since. Dec. 31 he left for Minnesota and has not been back since. He does not return text messages or phone calls. He is believed to be in Texas with another woman. Is there anything she can do?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described. It would be helpful to know:

1. Was your friend over the age of 18 at the time of the purchase?

2. Did he make any payments to your friend?

3. Are there any text or e-mails or written notes that show he promised to repay?

4. Who has the auto right now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes 48. no. i do not think so. the man.

Thank you. How much is she owed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

around ten thousand. she will have to sell her house if she has no case.

She can travel to Texas and sue him for up to $10,000 in small claims court under the theory of fraud/misrepresentation. She doesn't have to hire a lawyer to do this. But she will have to travel to Texas on her own and she won't recover her travel expenses.

The process for suing someone in small claims court in Texas is found here:

ND isn't an option because the ND courts don't have personal jurisdiction over him and she'd still have to go to Texas to seek enforcement of any judgment.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what if he returns to nd

If he returns to ND, she could sue him in ND small claims. The court forms for doing that are found here:

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if she wins the case in small claims court and he doesnt have the money can she get the pickup?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
never got last answer
Thank you for the follow-up question. If the truck is paid off, yes, she can obtain a court order to obtain physical possession of it.

~~ J.B.