Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can my employer cancel our vacation and sick time thats already

Can my employer cancel our...
Can my employer cancel our vacation and sick time that's already verbally promised?
I had 5 days of each last year. We don't have a contract. Today our employer told us that because of slow sales he was going to cancel them until further notice. We are salaried employees.
2/6/2013
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described. Am I correct to assume that you do not belong to a union?

Not union. Small family business.

Thank you. According to L&I, "An employer is not required to give workers paid holiday, vacation, sick or bereavement leave. Paid leave for holidays, vacation, sickness or bereavement following the death of a close family member are considered “benefits” that may be paid by the business under a policy, written agreement, personal contract, oral agreement, collective bargaining agreement or other form of agreement. There are no state laws requiring that such benefits be given.
If the business agrees to give these benefits and then does not do so, workers may sue the business in a private legal suit in small claims court or through a private attorney. L&I does not enforce these agreements."

http://www.lni.wa.gov/WorkplaceRights/LeaveBenefits/VacaySick/default.asp

Thus, to clarify: there is no state law which prohibits the employer's actions. What you've described is an act of bad faith and, at most, you can only try to sue the employer in small claims court for breaking its oral promise.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.

You've confirmed what we already suspected and that's very helpful. Thank you.

You are very welcome.

Please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback so that we are credited for assisting you.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer