How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my employer cancel our vacation and sick time thats already

This answer was rated:

Can my employer cancel our vacation and sick time that's already verbally promised?
I had 5 days of each last year. We don't have a contract. Today our employer told us that because of slow sales he was going to cancel them until further notice. We are salaried employees.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described. Am I correct to assume that you do not belong to a union?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not union. Small family business.

Thank you. According to L&I, "An employer is not required to give workers paid holiday, vacation, sick or bereavement leave. Paid leave for holidays, vacation, sickness or bereavement following the death of a close family member are considered “benefits” that may be paid by the business under a policy, written agreement, personal contract, oral agreement, collective bargaining agreement or other form of agreement. There are no state laws requiring that such benefits be given.
If the business agrees to give these benefits and then does not do so, workers may sue the business in a private legal suit in small claims court or through a private attorney. L&I does not enforce these agreements."

Thus, to clarify: there is no state law which prohibits the employer's actions. What you've described is an act of bad faith and, at most, you can only try to sue the employer in small claims court for breaking its oral promise.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You've confirmed what we already suspected and that's very helpful. Thank you.

You are very welcome.

Please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback so that we are credited for assisting you.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you