How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The coal mine that i am employed at is closing down and is

This answer was rated:

The coal mine that i am employed at is closing down and is paying 60 day wages to all employees. The warn pay was annouced at a meeting i was asked to attend and i did attend. However i been told subsequently that since i was on a medical leave prior to the close, I am not entitled to the warn pay. I have work at this mine for six years.Any ideas on what i can do?
Are you part of a union?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am part of the union

Your best bet is to contact your union rep and start a formal protest through the union that you are entitled to the full payout.

Technically, if the failure to give you that pay out is in violation of the union collective bargaining agreement (which I would bet it is), you could sue the mine. But that would probably be more trouble that its worth. Best to press your case through the union and see if you can get your rep to change the mine's decision.
TexLaw and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you