How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a dilemma. I work in a financial services office and

This answer was rated:

I have a dilemma. I work in a financial services office and one of the new advisors happens to be a drug dealer. It is starting to have a wide impact on some of younger advisors as well as assistants and office staff. there is a restaurant on the first floor of the building that is becoming a meeting place for narcotics transactions. Transactions and drug use is starting to happen in the parking lot as well. I don't like the way things are progress and the irony is that if I blow the whistle I will be the outcast.

Any recommendations?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. Please help me understand: what is the outcome that you are seeking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want the person responsible for selling and distributing narcotics out of the office.

Do you have the authority to fire the person?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately no. However, if he is fired and the reason is not clear to the entire office then I fear the transactions in the restaurant and parking lot will continue. There are people here that I care about that have already had stints in rehab and I do not want them being suckered into drug use again. there is a managing partner that does have the power to fire him.


I am afraid that if I alert the police it will take months if not years for them to treat this with the importance that I treat it. Also, it will not sit well with the managing partner if a drug scandal rocks his office.

Have you considered meeting with and sharing your concerns with the managing partner?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. But once I do share my concerns with him I cannot unshare them. I don't have any proof other than what I've seen with my own eyes.

I understand. What legal information are you seeking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know there are department of labor laws regarding a safe work enviornment. Are there any avenues that can be taken here?

None of those laws are applicable for the facts you've described. The avenues for you to pursue are purely a matter of personal preference:

1. Do nothing.

2. Directly confront the co-worker with your concerns.

3. Act as a confidential informant for the local police.

4. Share your concerns with the managing partner.

Otherwise, your employer is not breaking any laws. Even if they were, you have an obligation to first notify your employer. And, again, it's up to you to personally decide if you are willing to do that or not. If you do, there is no separate law which protects your job.

I know that this is not what you wanted to hear but you deserve a candid answer. I wish very much that I could offer you an answer that was more favorable to your circumstances, but the law seems to be pretty clear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

I hope you understand.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Replyf tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Bad Service" or "Poor Service," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey and 5 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you