Employment Law

I work full time (40) hours as a receptionist in a cosmetic…

I work full time (40)...

I work full time (40) hours as a receptionist in a cosmetic surgery office. One or two nights a week I stay overnight to back up the nurse with patients in an emergency. I can sleep or read, I just have to be there. I get paid different rates for each job. I get just a flat fee of $100 for the 16 hour overnite shift. Should I be paid San... Read full answer

I work full time (40) hours as a receptionist in a cosmetic surgery office. One or two nights a week I stay overnight to back up the nurse with patients in an emergency. I can sleep or read, I just have to be there. I get paid different rates for each job. I get just a flat fee of $100 for the 16 hour overnite shift. Should I be paid San Francisco minimum wage ($10.24/hr), and overtime or doubletime?  The CA Labor website says I should be paid overtime at my "regular rate of pay" which they define as the weighted average of my two jobs.  My employer doesn't seem to know what they are doing (small office).

10/12/2012
JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer

JackJD :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll answer your question.

You need to be paid the minimum wage for the hours that you are required to be at the employer's premises in order to fulfill the employer's needs. This is the interpretation on the federal minimum wage law ... the Fair Labor Standards Act. (You can find the answer in the FAQ section of the Wage and Hour Division's web site. Think of firefighters or paramedics sleeping at the fire station (so they can answer a call when it comes in). That's you. The California minimum wage goes piggyback on the federal FLSA definitions of what is work.

JackJD :

The overtime rules follow the same rule .. so you should be paid time and a half after 40 hours.

JackJD :

Have I answered your question, or do you have a follow up?

Customer:

Ok, that is what I read on that site, but talking to the US Dept of labor folks scared me that I was wrong (they said no pay for 8 hours of sleep!). That site page goes on to say that OT is calculated based on your "regular" rate of pay, which they define as the "weighted average" of two jobs different rates of pay. So in my case, would that be my 40 hrs rate plus min wage for 16 hrs/56 hrs = $X Reg Rate? Then Reg rate x 1.5 x 4 hours and Reg Rate x 2 x 12 hours for my night shift of 16 hours?

JackJD :

Well, they are wrong ... what can I say? You will not be sleeping if an emergency happens. You are available to the employer for the entire 16 hours.

On your calculations: you've got the basic idea right, but I go ahead and use your regular hourly rate for the base rate. What you've done, is upped the hourly for the 16 hours to the minimum wage, and then run the calculation. But your employer doesn't pay you the minimum wage. I think the WHD "weighted average" is for places where they pay you a legal wage for each job. (I could be wrong on this one.)

Customer:

It sounds as though the "regular pay" issue is not well understood yet by many. All my OT hours were worked at night, so my day rate doesn't make sense to use for the OT rate calc.

Logic says that the employer has to pay the legal wage (min wage) and then calculate the "regular" rate for OT calcs according to the FAQ page you referred me to describes it that way. Please review their discussion on this topic and confirm that you agree with my interpretation.

JackJD :

Yes, I understand what you are saying, that the OT is worked in the "secondary job" of "night-back up." But, don't jump to the conclusion that your OT happens on your secondary job. You count the hours for the week starting at 12:01 am Sunday. So, depending on when your night is, it may be at straight time, and the OT at your receptionist job.

JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have some questions about salaried employees and overtime
I have some questions about salaried employees and overtime and sick days … read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
I am a nurse anesthetist and have been working 24 hour
I am a nurse anesthetist and have been working 24 hour shifts in OB with an anesthesia group in Nashville. I clock in and out and work two 24 shifts a week. But they pay us for 40 hours. Also I just had surgery but they took out my sick time at 48 hours a week. Do I have a possible complaint? … read more
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Member,
My siblings and I are paying caregivers for our elderly
My siblings and I are paying caregivers for our elderly parents who have mild dementia. We know that others in the town where they live are paying $10/hour during the 12-hour day shift and a flat rate… read more
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Stop searching for answers—
I would like to know how many hours a nurse can work in a
I would like to know how many hours a nurse can work in a week, in Texas … read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
a healthcare employees regular pay for day shift is $25 per
a healthcare employee's regular pay for day shift is $25 per hour, for night shift there is an additional $5 per hour giving the night shift pay rate of $30 per hour. Ter normal shift is always night … read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
I work for the state of sc as a nurse. We have emergency teams
I work for the state of sc as a nurse. We have emergency teams in place which were activated over the last 2 days because of the ice storm we experienced. Team A nurses were required to report to work… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have two staff always scheduled for 24 hour shifts in a small
I have two staff always scheduled for 24 hour shifts in a small residential assisted living home of 5 residents. They mostly sleep through the night, but occasionally one will have to assist a residen… read more
Lawyer,
I am a Registered Nurse. We are required to work 17 hour shifts.
I am a Registered Nurse. We are required to work 17 hour shifts. I am also required to work till 10 PM and report to work the next morning at 5AM. I have told my boss I can not handle these hours, but… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
I am not sure if or what I can do to prepare myself for what
I am not sure if or what I can do to prepare myself for what I believe is inevitable. I started working for a property management company January 17th 2011 and have never been given a workstation (com… read more
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Attorney at Law,
If a person has worked overnight shift at $11.00 an hour for
If a person has worked overnight shift at $11.00 an hour for 2 years, then the company changes that overnight to a sleep shift, which pay rate is $8.35 an hour, is it legal for that company to do that… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
I have been an independent restaurateur for three years and
I have been an independent restaurateur for three years and have always counted on my CPA/payroll accountant to correctly calculate overtime. On the CPA's advise, an up and coming manager was paid sev… read more
Lawyer,
If I hire a certified nursing assistant to help me care for
If I hire a certified nursing assistant to help me care for my husband in our home, what are the legal requirements in terms of wages and termination if I feel that the CNA is guilty of misconduct? If… read more
Judith
Judith
Owner,
Stop searching for answers—
GOOD MORNING, I AM INQUIRING ABOUT COLORADO LABOR LAWS.
GOOD MORNING, I AM INQUIRING ABOUT COLORADO LABOR LAWS. I HAVE AN ASSISTED LIVING HOME FOR THE SENIOR POPULATION. I AM WANTING TO CHANGE HOW I SCHEDULE MY CAREGIVERS FROM AN HOURLY, 8 HOUR SHIFT, TO 1… read more
Lawyer,
I have been working as a full time employee and I get payed
I have been working as a full time employee and I get payed based on hourly rate and recieve health benifts. Over-time Rates are determined by the company depending on a client billing rate sheet. A t… read more
Lawyer,
I am a Diesel Technician in Florida. My hourly rate of pay
I am a Diesel Technician in Florida. My hourly rate of pay is $24. My company has recently changed to a Flat Rate Pay system. If a technician is paid his full hourly rate for class room training, can … read more
Employment lawyer,
I am in CA. I work in the patients home as private home health
I am in CA. I work in the patients home as private home health care. We have an employee that is claiming she is due "overtime pay". We work 8.5hr/day, the overlapping is to give shift report. The emp… read more
Anne
Anne
Attorney,
I work a second job at a group home that paid $9.50/hr
I work a second job at a group home that paid $9.50/hr during ''waking hours'' and $5.45/hr or $43.6 per 8 hr block during ''sleeping hours''. To avoid increasing the sleeping hour wage when the minim… read more
BusinessDoc
BusinessDoc
Due to a chronic nursing shortage in the peri operative and
Due to a chronic nursing shortage in the peri operative and recovery room area of our community hospital and a hiring freeze being in effect, nursing administration informed us (registered nurses in t… read more
BusinessDoc
BusinessDoc