Employment Law

Tort claims against an independent contractor by her boss…

Customer Question
Tort claims against an independent...
Tort claims against an independent contractor by her boss

Ms. 666 has worked for a physical therapist (PT) for many years.

Ms. 666 is fired for good cause. Then she attempts to steal all of PT's clients. PT wants to sue Ms. 666 for Intentional Interference with propective economic advantage, along with a bunch of other... Read full answer

Ms. 666 is fired for good cause. Then she attempts to steal all of PT's clients. PT wants to sue Ms. 666 for Intentional Interference with propective economic advantage, along with a bunch of other claims.
There was no signed non-competition agreement.

It appears that Ms. 666 was an independent contractor and not an employee. Does that or does that not eliminate PT's claims against her?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Employment Law
10/2/2012
Employment Lawyer: Isaac, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq., Attorney

Thank you for your question.

To answer your question directly, this does not appear to be 'Intentional Interference' unless the individual who was terminated was intentionally defaming the name of the past employer. California does not generally uphold non-compete agreements except in very rare instances, and if there was nothing written down where the past employee agreed to not solicit past clients, contacting them is not a violation. Similarly, if those clients chose to later follow the independent contractor, it is not a violation. It would be a violation if the comments to clients were defamatory or if the lists used to contact those clients were proprietary and confidential to the original employer. Beyond that, without a non-compete, it is not enough here to claim 'Intentional Interference". The employer can try it, but the courts would likely see this as natural competition and dismiss it. The fact that the individual was an independent contractor has nothing to do with the cause of action, as the contractor is under no contract to NOT solicit or contract past customers.

Good luck.

Thank you Dmitry.

So whether Ms. 666 was an independent contractor or not is completely irrelevant? So if she was an I.C. and had signed something, then she might be found liable?

Thank you for your follow-up, Richard.

Correct on both counts. The status of the past employee or I.C. is not related to whether or not she is engaged in interference or is engaging lawfully, but what matters is if the individual signed a document that forbids that individual from competing or soliciting past customers for herself.

Good luck.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I am in need of assistance with an employment law question.
Hello, I am in need of assistance with an employment law question. Here are the facts:- I am an independent contractor that has been working through a consulting firm over the past year. - The consult… read more
Lawyer,
I work as a pharmacist and recently lost 2 patients to a
Hello, I work as a pharmacist and recently lost 2 patients to a competitor( who happens to be someone i know). Now my boss is forcing me to admit that i willingly sent away the patients to the competi… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
I had to fire my independent contractor ( I'm running
Hi I had to fire my independent contractor ( I'm running dogwalking company in utah ). I specifically prohibited her from continuing to work for my clients, most of them pay for a month in advance, sh… read more
Stop searching for answers—
I was forced to quit my job of 18 years, with a perfect work
I was forced to quit my job of 18 years, with a perfect work record ,or be fired, due to a strictly personal issue out of the work place, as my boss was also my best friend. she made it known that she… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
I am a contracted employee at a business in SW Ohio and there
I am a contracted employee at a business in SW Ohio and there has been a lot of comments made by the "Full Timers" that invite hostile environments (things such as death threats against an unknown her… read more
Attorney,
I was the president of a nonprofit organization for 17 years
I was the president of a nonprofit organization for 17 years . The Board of directors has , occasionally , over the years , told me the I should take the position of executive director . I always said… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have been employed at same co. - 11 employees - for 16 years.
I have been employed at same co. - 11 employees - for 16 years. Always great reviews, bonuses, etc. Great working relationship with everyone. Recently, a fired employee (stealing and possible forgery)… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
I have a very interesting question. Can a hospital via a physician
I have a very interesting question. Can a hospital via a physician director who acts with malice & without any actual cause, defame and literally 'force' another physician to undergo a "fit for duty e… read more
I work for a govt contractor. Our employment relationship
I work for a govt contractor. Our employment relationship is based on utilization. My utilitization is low and has been for some time. Not surprisingly, I was informed that I had 30 days to find billa… read more
Attorney,
Hi, My Name is XXXXX XXXXX a situation at work , My Job has
Hi, My Name is XXXXX XXXXX a situation at work , My Job has been thritened by my boose, he stated that he will make sure I get fired in 2012, because I took a issue I had with him to his boose , I nee… read more
i am a physical therapist who has worked independently and
i am a physical therapist who has worked independently and has been contracted with an agency. I usually work in a group home seeing patients with developmental disabilities. a week ago, they call me … read more
My daughter was fired yesterday from her job as a waitress.
My daughter was fired yesterday from her job as a waitress. She was employed by this large chain restaurant for almost 3 years. She was an excellent employee, never was a no-show, came to work less th… read more
Jack R.
Jack R.
Partner,
Stop searching for answers—
I am a Physical therapist and an independent contrator. I
I am a Physical therapist and an independent contrator. I signed on as an ind contractor to take patients in the area of home health , that is visiting patients at home, and I was getting my referrals… read more
I was fired for something I didnt do. Now my boss is telling
I was fired for something I didn't do. Now my boss is telling everyone i was fired for stealing. Can I do anything… read more
Attorney,
I was accused of stealing a employees cell phone and was
I was accused of stealing a employee's cell phone and was terminated for the alligations, not charges were filled but It was said by the employee that I went into her purse and took her cell phone.… read more
Attorney,
Im in california. Work as a marketing consultant for a realtor.
Im in california. Work as a marketing consultant for a realtor. Used my own laptop that I brought in daily. My boss was caught breaking into my email, printed out pages, shared them with others, trash… read more
Attorney,
what type of lawyer would I need to locate for a work related
what type of lawyer would I need to locate for a work related problem. I was falsely accused of stealing at my workplace. I am not guilty and was found not guilty. I was terminated and brought back th… read more
Attorney,
if a hospital and a physical rehab contract company(Co.#1)
if a hospital and a physical rehab contract company(Co.#1) have a covenant not to compete agreement, but the employees working for the rehab co.#1, did not sign anything pertaining to this agreement,.… read more
Experienced Attorney
Experienced Attorney