Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am originally from Bulgaria. I have been working as a Deputy

Sheriff in the US for...
I am originally from Bulgaria. I have been working as a Deputy Sheriff in the US for 1 year and 7 months. My chief deputy had made ethnical remarks , he told me in front of people that he had "personally checked the terrorist watchlist" for my name. He treats me unfairly and shows favoratism to other deputies. I have an outstanding record on the job. I am highly motivated and work very hard, but other deputies seem to get what I want and I have to beg for it. Can I file a discrimination suit against the department based on that and a lot more
10/1/2012
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Yes, if you are being discriminated against because of your ethnicity or country of origin then it is a viable discrimination suit.

If they have any kind of grievance system there at work you would need to pursue it through those channels first, then if that doesn't work you would have to file a charge of discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. That is mandatory before any lawsuit could be filed.
The EEOC will then investigate and at some point will either file a lawsuit for you or will issue a letter known as a "right to sue" letter. At that point you can file your lawsuit.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer