How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq Your Own Question
JPEsq, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Experience as both corporate in-house counsel and private counsel
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JPEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was terminated for an incident that ocurred at work, which

This answer was rated:

I was terminated for an incident that ocurred at work, which I am totally not responsible for. Do I have any way of going back on the administrator for firing me without proof?

As an at-will employee (which you are unless you have a contract), you can be fired for no reason, any reason, even a bad or false reason. The only exception is that you cannot be fired for an illegal reason. Illegal reasons to terminate an employee include discrimination based on race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, and disability. It is also illegal to fire someone in retaliation for a legally protected act, such as taking FMLA time or whistle blowing.


In your case, you were fired for something that you didn't do. That is not illegal, though it is unfair. As such, your only remedy is unemployment benefits. You cannot sue (at least successfully) your former employer for firing you for a false reason. Those who are fired for no reason or a bad or false reason are eligible for unemployment benefits, that is the remedy provided in the at-will employment scheme.


I am sorry, I know this is not what you hoped to hear, but this is the reality of your situation. My policy here is to just give the truth, rather than give you false good news in hopes of earning a positive rating from you. Hopefully, you can appreciate this.

JPEsq and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Employment Law Questions