Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

if you purchase a item during your work hour can you get fired

Customer Question
right away...
if you purchase a item during your work hour can you get fired right away
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Employment Law
8/5/2012
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Hello and welcome,

Why exactly was the employee fired? Because they used company time to make a personal purchase, using the internet to make a personal purchase, or something else?

Did the employee know it was against company policy to engage in such conduct?
can boss fired you right away when employee purchase a item during their work hour
Yes, an employer can take such action typically as long as they are not violating any laws, such as breaching a contract with the employee or discriminating against the employee as prohibited by law.

n all 50 states, federal law makes it illegal to discriminate based on:
  • Race
  • Color
  • National origin
  • Religion
  • Sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions)
  • Disability
  • Age (40 and older)
  • Citizenship status
  • Genetic information

In addition, California state law also prohibits discrimination based on:

• Race
  • Color
  • National origin
  • Religion
  • Disability: Physical or mental
  • Age (40 and older)
  • Genetic information
  • Marital status
  • Sexual orientation and identity
  • AIDS/HIV
  • Medical condition
  • Political activities or affiliations

Here is a link that sets out these classes:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/california-employment-discrimination-31690.html

File a charge with the state Fair Employment and Housing Commission promptly if there is reason to believe the employer singled you out based on a protected status.

In addition, if the employer did not communicate the policy you are alleged to have violated BEFORE you engaged in the conduct, then you may be eligible for unemployment benefits. I would apply for such benefits immediately in any case since the worst that can happen is the application may be denied.

Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Thank you and all the best to you,

If you experience technical problems, please let me know or contact [email protected]

Hello again,
I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards your question.
Is there anything else that I can assist you with? If not, and if you haven’t already, would you please now rate my service to you highly? Thanks in advance!
Tina, Lawyer