How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq Your Own Question
JPEsq, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Experience as both corporate in-house counsel and private counsel
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JPEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To Whom it may concern, I have a question regarding my unemployment

This answer was rated:

To Whom it may concern, I have a question regarding my unemployment benefits. I started to collect in Nov of 2011. Since I've been unable to find a job, I wanted to go back to school in Sept of 2012. Can you please advise if I can still claim unemployement benefits and for how long. I live in the state of New York. Thank you.

New York has a special program for people on unemployment who wish to go to college or training schools. The short answer is, yes, you can do it, but you must get the course approved by Unemployment first, and it must be completed within 24 months.

Read about the program here:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was employed by New Jersey that is why I'm receiving benefits from them. Can you please advise how I can get the course approved through New Jersey Unemployment? I can't seem to reach anyone by phone. Thank you.

You did not state that it was in NJ in your question, my apologies.

NJ is not as friendly as NY with the benefits for college. It does have a program wherein you can do remedial education or a vocational program for up to 26 weeks if you were unable to find a job while on unemployment. See it here on page 94:

All of that said, if you can meet the other requirements for unemployment, that you are willing and able to work, you can still collect unemployment and go to school. But that generally means that you would have to be willing to leave school and take a job if it arose.

There is a tuition waiver program in NJ for unemployed individuals. See it here:

JPEsq and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance.
No problem, good luck.