Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Someone says that i signed a paper the proves that i owe them

money, all though there is...
Someone says that i signed a paper the proves that i owe them money, all though there is no noter, is this legal? can the force me to pay them money in court?
7/1/2012
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Although it would be more solid proof that you owed this other party money if your signature was notarized, it is not absolutely necessary for there to be an agreement/contract between two parties. However, the other party will have to establish that they loaned you money that you promised to pay back. That can be done by their testimony and any document that they can establish that you signed. They could testify that they watched you sign the document (if they did). You in turn can attempt to establish that this is not your signature and that you did not receive any money from the other party that you promised to pay back. Then it would be up to the court to decide who and what they believe. Again though, not absolutely necessary to have a notarized signature.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please recognize that the rating system only gives me credit for working with you when you click one of the 3 stars/faces on the right. Also, kindly rate me based solely on my assistance to you in understanding the law, and not based on whether my answer is what you were hoping to hear. I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation, and I trust that you can understand how it would be unfair for me to be punished by a (negative rating) ----the first 2 stars/faces----for having been honest with you about the law. Please reply to me and let me know if you are having difficulty with the rating system or even seeing it. Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Marsha411JD, Lawyer