Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My employees delivers medical equipment for me. He has an amex

Customer Question
for all his gas and...
My employees delivers medical equipment for me. He has an amex for all his gas and mechancial problems. I have found out he has been buying food and cigrattes for over a year and making it look like gas purchases. i have itemized reciepts now and just in 5 days he has charged around $150.00. The lady at the gas station breought this to my attention, and showed me the reciepts. In the past year he has run up over $5000.00 on these puyrchases. What can i do legally besides fire him?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/8/2012
Employment Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. I am Thoreau and I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you asked your question.
I'm very sorry to hear about the situation. It's very difficult when someone violates your trust like that, particularly after years of a good employment relationship. If an employee abuses a corporate expense account and uses it for his own purposes, that actually constitutes a crime and the employer can report the matter to the police. The police will then investigate and determine whether or not to pursue criminal charges. An employee is also civilly liable for any amount he has charged to a corporate expense account and the employer can sue the employee to recover the damages that result.
I'm sorry that your employee has done that to you and your business. I hope that you recover everything he's wrongfully taken.
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer