Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

i am being threatened at work by a subordinate, after talking

i am being threatened at work by a subordinate, after talking with the person directly i then went to his manager and my vp...my vp said it would be taken care of.....the manager called me that night to aplogize and said the employee had been written up. the employee sent me an email apologizing for being aggresive. this was a month ago...it happpened again last week,,,i went to my manager the employees manager and then hr.....i was told by my boss that he had gone to hr about me being out sick...but if i wanted to go about the threatning issuess i should be okay. the employyes boss told me i did not fit into the culture. I feel so threatned by the person that harrased me that i told hr i could not come to the office. The employee did write a second apology and said he had come to my office after he was "told" by his manager not to contact me. HR is telling me that I need to tell them what i want for a resoltuion. Is this normal? I asked what their policy is on harrasment and threats and they said zero tolerance. I said well whatever you nned to do do it. Why are they asking me what I want for a resoltion. Why is my boss brining an issue up about me being sick and I :should" be okay to go to HR with this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Is this person treating you this way based only on your age/race/sex/disability?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, because i am in a position of authority, they are a sales person i am a product manager, and when i have to say no on pricing to protect the businesss they come over to my side of the desk and stand right next to me...or stare me down like they are going to hurt me
I see, I just needed to make sure because it makes a big difference in the legal rights you have. Absent age/race/sex/disability motivation for the conduct, this is pure insubordination and is considered good cause for termination by the employer. Thus, as a manager it appears that your HR department is asking for a management recommendation for action based on the conduct of the employee so they can have documentation for their action. Thus, you need make a written description of the conduct and make your recommendation as to discipline.

As to your boss' comments, this is something we would have no way of knowing as to why he would say this. Thus, I am sorry, there is no answer I can give to this part.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”