Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In regard to possiable wrongful termination. I was recently…

Customer Question
In regard to possiable wrongful...
In regard to possiable wrongful termination. I was recently fired for not hitting production numbers...however these numbers were lacking because my wife had gone through two surgeries and I had a one year ols I was trying to take care of on top of that...I am (was) in the securities...and because of reporting feel it may be impossiable to secure a job in that area again...do I have any options
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/12/2012
Employment Lawyer: InformationForYou, Attorney replied 6 years ago
InformationForYou

InformationForYou :

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do for two reasons:

InformationForYou :

1) most employment situations are at will, which means an employer can fire you for any reason, except not one based on a discriminatory one; and

InformationForYou :

2) a prerequisite to your job was hitting certain numbers and you didn't hit them (meaning your employer can hang his hat on that reason for the termination, which means it wouldn't look like a discriminatory reason - like because of your race).

InformationForYou :

I wish the news were different and I'm sorry you're going through this.

JACUSTOMER-3gkppwxy- :

Thank you for the kind words...So to be clear it. If I would have taken advantage of the family leave act and just not been at work... my numbers could not have been held against me but because I decided to try to earn a pay check while the other bread winner was not...resulted in the end, my termination instead...

InformationForYou :

FMLA is a federal act - applying to federal employees.

JACUSTOMER-3gkppwxy- :

so FMLA would not have been an option for me any way?

InformationForYou :

Not federal - no. That applies to federal employees.

InformationForYou :

Good luck and I hope it works out. Please click accept to give me credit for responding.

InformationForYou :

I see you left the chat. As this is my job, and not a hobby, I would ask you to abide by the nature of this site and click accept to give me proper credit.