Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My coworker reports to my superior that I am Bipolar. I am…

Customer Question
My coworker reports to my...
My coworker reports to my superior that I am Bipolar. I am not and have never been diagnosed as such. He also recorded me with tape recorder complaining about harassment. My boss told me today that he recorded me without my knowledge and gave it to human recources Can he be sued for slander? or illiegal taping in N.Carolina?He is due for an evaluation from me i am his boss at a chain store.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/10/2012
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
NC has a one party consent law, meaning that only one party to any conversation needs to consent to recording. However, if you can prove that he is making known false statements about you then you can sue him for defamation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney