Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I live in Tennessee and I am a non traditional college student…

Customer Question
I live in Tennessee and...
I live in Tennessee and I am a non traditional college student there. Recently I was accused of something very embarrassing in front of the class by the instructor. In fact he did this on two separate occasions within a week. My question is? Is there anything I can do about this this situation? I have went up the chain of command at school with no results. They Advised me to seek a attorney.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/5/2012
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Hello and welcome,

Yes, you may have a cause of action against the instructor for defamation if they made false statements to others about you and you suffered damages as a result. The elements of such a case normally include:

1. The statement, which must be about another person, must be false.
  2. The statement must be ‘published’ to a third party, who cannot also be the person who is being defamed. Publishing in this context does not mean that it must be printed, but purely that the statement has to be ‘made available’ to someone other than the person about whom the statement was made.
  3. If the nature of the statement is ‘of public concern’ the person who has published it must be at least liable in negligence. Public figures who seek to prove that they have been defamed must prove an additional element under the First Amendment of the US Constitution, that in publishing the statement the defendant was acting with ‘actual malice’ (by publishing something they know to be a lie) or at least to have a total disregard for whether the statement is true or not.
  4. The person about whom the defamatory statement is made must be ‘damaged’ by the statement. In some states, it is sufficient to establish that the plaintiff suffered ‘mental anguish’ as opposed to ‘damage.’

Here is a link that provides more information:

http://www.lawfirms.com/resources/personal-injury/libel-and-slander/elements-required-defamation.htm

If the statements were not false, you may have an invasion of privacy claim if the instructor had an obligation to maintain the confidentiality of the information they disclosed, such as medical information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.