Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can an employee of a hospital retrieve information from my…

Customer Question
Can an employee of a...
Can an employee of a hospital retrieve information from my file as a previous patience. The reason I know they went into my personal file is the employee called my emergency contact persons trying to make contact with me. The matter was not relevant to the me or my health. My emergency contacts were contacted and asked to contact me about a family member that was admitted to the hospital and gave my name as his emergency contact person. One of my emergency contacts was contacted twice. The other informed the caller not to give any of my information to anyone. Which I had previously told an employee at the hospital not to contact me or give any of my information to this family member and to remove my cell phone number from his file when he was admitted about a month earlier. The hospital employee has called my place of employment and even gave the patience whole name out on a recorded line. I have received numerous calls on my cell from the employee's of the hospital. There has been two employee's trying to contact me. I feel they violated my rights. My emergency contact names and number was given in case I had an emergency situation. I also think there is a good chance that a employee gave my cell phone number to this family member when he had been admitted about a month earlier. I received several calls from this family member on my cell on call while he was still in the hospital. The other call came the day after he was transported from the hospital to another mental hospital.
Can I file suit?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/5/2012
Employment Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Please clarify: are you saying saying you were an employee of the hospital and someone went into your personnel file?
Im not an employee of the hospital. Any employee of the hospital went into my file and got my emergency contact information and used it to try and contact me about a family member that had been admitted. Hospital employee had been previously told not to contact me about this patience.
Thank you. I want to make sure that I understand this clearly:

1. Are you saying that you were a patient of the hospital in the past?

2. When you were no longer a patient, someone accessed your patient file in order to get your contact information and notify you about a family member being hospitalized?
yes this is what Im saying. They used my emergency contact numbers and names to try and make contact with me. These names and numbers were given to the hospital as my emergency contacts if I had and emergency when I was a patience at the hospital.
Thank you.

The facts that you describe are a violation of the patient privacy protections of the federal HIPAA law. That law is enforced by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. You can file a complaint with them here: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html

The HIPAA law does not give people and individual basis to sue. You can only file a complaint with HHS. If they find a violation, they can fine the hospital.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied.
just doing some checking
Great. Let me know if you need anything else.