Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I lost my job and cant pay alimony, my X- wife is working

I lost my job and can't pay alimony, my X- wife is working ..... what is expected of me until I find employment? Plus if the wife have a larger salary than I , do I have to pay alimony?
You are liable for the alimony until there is a court order changing it. If you can't afford the alimony then you will have to file a motion to reduce or stop the alimony otherwise it continues to accumulate at the same rate.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My divorce agreement states that the alimony stops if loss of employment or death, do I still need to file a motion?

If the divorce decree specifically states that it stops on unemployment then you wouldn't have to file the motion. Most of them require you to come back to court.