Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer just casually heatbutted me and another staff member.

Customer Question
I have been denied promotions...
My employer just casually heatbutted me and another staff member. I have been denied promotions and have been harassed on teh job. I want to consult a lawyer, but I want to call the police to file an assault charge first. What shoufl I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/2/2012
Employment Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Do you belong to a union?
No, but I am a state employee. I have tried H.R. already. I have also trianed newer employees only to have them promoted.
Thank you. Your options are to:

1. Report the matter to HR.

2. File a police report.

3. Sue the manager in civil court for assault and battery.

Or, you can simply tell the manager to not do that.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied with your information needs. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-jb-umphrey/. Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the www.justanswer.com homepage.

How can I potect myself aftrewards? retailation concerns me.

There is nothing that you can do to prevent attempts at retaliation. If that is your core concern, then you may want to focus on talking with your employer and telling them to not joke with you by touching you in such a fashion.