Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Regarding disablity / employment status -I had thyroid cancer…

Customer Question
Regarding disablity / employment status...
Regarding disablity / employment status -I had thyroid cancer last year and the tumor was wrapped around my left vocal chord. My doctor felt that I will regain my voice however after six months the doctor stated I was a good candidate for vocal coaching and physical therapy. I work in sales and depend on my voice. - After 2 months of VC and PT I am still physically exhausted by mid afternoon spending time selling / talking to clients - my voice is strained and high pitched. - It is obvious to clients that sometimes I am struggling to breathe. I see my doctor 3/16. My question is : Can I get any type of disability because to continue in my present job is exhausting, cannot complete 40 hrs a week at present voice ( my job sometimes requires 40 - 55 hrs based on need times ) - I understand that I need a doctors note before I take it to disability office. However someone mentioned to me that I can still work just not in a speaking capacity. I just want to know my options before I lose my job since I have not able to make my monthly budgets
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/1/2012
Employment Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 6 years ago
Fran-mod
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Yes - I am still waiting for an answer -

If it matters- I do not have access to computer until late friday evening as I am out of town on the road- thank you for you help -

Employment Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 6 years ago

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
I am sorry for the delay in responding to you, I have been tied up out of the office.

This is something that SSA would give you a very difficult time because you can still perform employment as you said. However, if you can prove that there are no other jobs you can qualify for without being able to speak and your doctor's evaluations support this contention, this it the only way SSA would approve disability. You need to ask for reasonable accommodation as well to allow you to complete the tasks of your job as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

no one has answered my question
I believe there is an answer right above and perhaps you missed it. The answer was, "This is something that SSA would give you a very difficult time because you can still perform employment as you said. However, if you can prove that there are no other jobs you can qualify for without being able to speak and your doctor's evaluations support this contention, this it the only way SSA would approve disability. You need to ask for reasonable accommodation as well to allow you to complete the tasks of your job as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act."

If you have follow up questions please ask.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney