Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Hello, I have recently completed sessions seeing a "coach"

Hello, I have recently completed sessions...
I have recently completed sessions seeing a "coach" for work (authorized and "expected" by my boss). Today, there was a group meeting with the coach which I previously had said that I felt uncomfortable with doing but gave into the meeting when pressed. Well, the coach openly divulged to the group of co-workers that I've been seeing her. The result is this situation has embarrassed me and will now become known at work. Is this legal?
2/25/2012
texlawyer
texlawyer, Lawyer

TexLawyer :

What do you mean by a "coach?"

Customer:

I was asked to attend what's known as a 360 review. I was told it was an honor reserved for management. It was anything but that. Once the 360 was compiled (people at work interviewed to offer feedback on my performance) I was then set up to attend mentoring sessions with a coach.

TexLawyer :

So, this is not a medical professional, correct?

Customer:

No, not medical, Oil and Gas.

TexLawyer :

No, the "coach" is not a medical professional, correct?

Customer:

I don't know but I don't think so. She owns a local "growth company" business.

TexLawyer :

Did you sign any sort of confidentiality agreement?

Customer:

No, not that I recall. I was given the results of the 360 but didn't sign anything.

TexLawyer :

I don't see anything violation of the law. If it were a medical professional, it would be a HIPAA violation, and if there had been a confidentiality agreement breached, there could be grounds for a lawsuit, but absent those things, I don't see any legal recourse.

Customer:

Although it's created a hostile work environment?

TexLawyer :

A hostile work environment occurs when unwelcome comments or conduct based on sex, race or other legally protected characteristics unreasonably interferes with an employee’s work performance or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment.

Customer:

My review last year was given by two people involved in a relationship. My boss wrote it and her boyfriend gave it to me.

Customer:

I just checked online - the coach is a Phd.

TexLawyer :

There aren't any legal protections to guarantee an unbiased performance evaluation.

TexLawyer :

Ok, but if you were not in a patient-doctor relationship (i.e. the coach was not a psychologist), it is not a HIPAA violation.

Customer:

Okay, thank you for your help.

TexLawyer :

Sorry I don't have better news, but I can only give you an honest assessment of your case.

TexLawyer :

To do otherwise would be giving you a disservice.

texlawyer
texlawyer, Lawyer