Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My son is a soldier with the US Army. I just received a very…

Customer Question
My son is a soldier...
My son is a soldier with the US Army. I just received a very disturbing phone call from him. He is deployed in Bahrain and has been experiencing some sexual harrassment from a superior. He has reported it and as a result the fix is to move my son to a different platoon. The offending superior was made able to read my sons report and has approached him saying "thanks a lot, now I am going to have to be registered as a sexual predator and explain that to my family". My son is not in a good frame of mind at all right now and I am extremely concerned about him making very bad decisions right now. What are his rights?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/24/2012
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Thank you for using Just Answer. Between my law practice and other law related jobs, I have over 13 years experience. I look forward to assisting you.

His rights are fairly limited here. He doesn't have any right to have the superior punished in any sort of specific way. He was moved to a different platoon, which honestly happens much less often than it should.

Your son can certainly seek some medical attention in the form of counseling, but that is always a right of a soldier.

Beyond that, this situation doesn't create any specific rights for him.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Do you know who I can contact about my sons state of mind? I am worried that he is either going to hurt himself or someone else.

You can contact command, JAG on base or a chaplain there if you wish, but you have to understand that your son is considered an adult. The military doesn't have to respect your position as a parent.

They can completely ignore you and even refuse to speak to you on the basis that you have no right to communication with them on your son's behalf.

I'm not saying that it is a waste of time, but I'm simply preparing you for the reality that you have no power here if no one wishes to listen to you. Your time would be better spent speaking to your son.

I have spoken with my son and he is going to see the counselor tomorrow - I have never heard him speak like this and I am trying to alert someone so that nothing bad happens.

I understand. There isn't any sort of hotline for this sort of information. The only people to contact would be his command.
He was stationed at Ft Carson in Colorado. Do I start there?
Yes. They will have rear commanders that can forward any issues to command in the deployed area.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer