Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If I made a statement to friends about my desire to have sex…

Customer Question
If I made a statement...
If I made a statement to friends about my desire to have sex with a fellow co worker and that information was relayed back to her- have I committmented sexual harrassment as defined by the law?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/23/2012
Employment Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 6 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

The law prohibits sexual harassment in two forms, quid pro quo and hostile work environment:

Quid pro quo Harassment

This form of sexual harassment usually involves a request for sexual favors in exchange for continued employment, a promotion, increased pay, or other employment benefit. The victim of this form of harassment may suffer adverse actions including failure to promote, reduction in pay or benefits, demotion or termination as a result of refusing to agree to the sexual advances of the supervisor or co-worker.

Hostile Work Environment Harassment

This form of sexual harassment involves severe or pervasive use of unwelcome and offensive language, sexual images, or physical touching that a reasonable person would find to be objectionable. Not every sexual innuendo, joke or act will rise to the level of legally prohibited sexual harassment. However, a substantial number of inappropriate comments or offensive acts can give rise to a sexual harassment claim. Where the hostile environment is being created by co-workers, as opposed to supervisors or managers, and where no other adverse action has occurred (such as reduction on pay, demotion or termination), the employee may be required to follow the employer's policies by reporting the harassment to the designated manager or Human Resources representative and allowing the employer a reasonable opportunity to investigate the matter and remedy the situation.

As such, if you think you were wrongfully terminated, you need to consult with an employment law attorney, who can look into the specific facts of your case and determine if you have a valid cause of action.

My statement was made once and she was not present so there was no hostile work enviormnet created and she was my supervisor so I did not hold authority over her. Do you think I should pursue action or am I wasting my money and time?
It is possible that you could have a case. You do not need to spend any money to get a free consultation with an attorney, so contact a few in your area and speak with them either in person or over the phone about the facts, to see if it is worth pursuing. This could be something where you were fired since it created an uncomfortable work environment and was a violation of the company policy.