Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

How can we get rid of our unwanted shop steward? He is not trusted by the majority of memb

Customer Question
ership. He is appointed by...
How can we get rid of our unwanted shop steward? He is not trusted by the majority of memb ership. He is appointed by our departmental committeeman.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Employment Law
11/15/2011
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
In order to remove the shop steward you would need to follow the bylaws of your union and/or your contract which would have a provision for removal. If there are no such provisions you would need a petition signed by 2/3 of the membership to the Business Manager and Executive Board of the union to ask for them to consider removal for cause and it is up to them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney