Employment Law

I have an unemployment appeal as I failed to report that i…

Customer Question
I have an unemployment appeal...
I have an unemployment appeal as I failed to report that i refused a job offer. It was my former job that I worked full time. After pregnancy leave, I contacted them but they had no position. Later they called for PT position...which I turned down as it was a 4 hr shift, a few days a week, and... Read full answer
I have an unemployment appeal as I failed to report that i refused a job offer. It was my former job that I worked full time. After pregnancy leave, I contacted them but they had no position. Later they called for PT position...which I turned down as it was a 4 hr shift, a few days a week, and aXXXXXone way. I felt it was not equivalent in nature to what I did before, not a reasonable offer of employment, and it was less than 20hrs. I failed to report it. Not intentionally, I honestly forgot. I also thought it was a conflict of interest as I worked for the unemployment office and would still be drawing unemployment if I were to work PT. I continued to certify, and they continued to pay. Strategy?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Employment Law
10/26/2011
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Every state is slightly different, so could you tell me what state this is in?

Customer:

Tennessee

ScottyMacEsq :

How long were you unemployed when you turned down that job offer?

Customer:

I was hired Dec 1 2010 and left end of Feb for pregnancy

Customer:

I had to sign a resignation...per my HR director

ScottyMacEsq :

And the refusal was at the time you left for pregnancy? That is, you were offered it at that time, or when you returned? And when did you return?

Customer:

I had the baby mar 23 and 4 weeks later I had dr release. I attempted to contact her at least 3 times to let her know I was released and available to work. She never contacted me at that time. She contacted me about 5 weeks later about a PT position.

ScottyMacEsq :

And you were drawing unemployment from the time that you were released?

Customer:

From the dr's release yes. I had to provide a copy to unemployment

Customer:

Our unemployment handbook states we have to be able available and seeking work at minimum of 20hrs per week. She wasnt offering 20 hrs per week

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you. One moment please while I research this, and will get back to you shortly...

ScottyMacEsq :

Can you tell me if what you would have received under the part time job offer would have been greater than the amount that you receive in unemployment benefits?

Customer:

No I would not have surpassed my weekly benefit amount

Customer:

My base was 275 per week

ScottyMacEsq :

Basically to continue to be eligible for unemployment you cannot have refused "suitable" work. The definition of "suitable work" in Tennessee is "a job where the weekly wage is greater than the weekly benefit amount of unemployment". The key is to show that this job offer was not suitable work because your benefit amount is greater than the weekly wage. That is, you would not have been denied unemployment if you had reported it, and therefore no actions should be taken against you for what amounts to a harmless oversight on your part.

Customer:

thanks. I can do that. All pt shifts are 4hours. at 5 days a week at most it would be 20 hours and still less than my WBA.

ScottyMacEsq :

The key is to argue that unemployment benefits can only be denied in certain situations, none of which have occurred here. Again, the reporting, while you should have done it, was harmless, and would not have resulted in any change one way or the other. Again, stress that it was not done intentionally, but merely by oversight (that you forgot).

ScottyMacEsq :

If you do not win this appeal, I would suggest speaking with an attorney in your area that handles unemployment appeals cases. That being said, you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with unemployment cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

Customer:

Thanks. I will accept.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
In Nj I left a part time job while still employed at my full
In Nj I left a part time job while still employed at my full time job (2 months prior). Since then my full time job laid everyone off and unemployment is saying that I am not eligible for unemployment… read more
Employment Lawyer,
My 50 yr. old daughter worked in a neighborhood laundromat,
My 50 yr. old daughter worked in a neighborhood laundromat, working approx. 38 hrs. a week. Owner sold the business & she lost her job. She filed for unemployment. The owner she'd been working for has… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
I work for a nation wide health care company and we do telephonic
I work for a nation wide health care company and we do telephonic case management for a large out of state worker's comp insurance carrier. In a nutshell, only production counts and as a new hire (jus… read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
I am one member of a group of 8 employees that work for a major
I am one member of a group of 8 employees that work for a major cosmetic company in a dept. store. We have just been told that our 30 hr position with medical benefits is now being terminated and 6 wi… read more
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow
Attorney and Counselor at Law,
Doctor of Jurisprudence
We are dairy producers in the state of MN. As owners we made
We are dairy producers in the state of MN. As owners we made the decision that was best for our business to change from milking our cows twice a day to three times day. Therefore our employee's schedu… read more
law.review
law.review
I need some advice about how to answer my interviewer about
I need some advice about how to answer my interviewer about getting terminated. I have an invisible disability (not ADD). I worked as a shift chemist performing QC tests at a chemical manufacturing pl… read more
JackJD
JackJD
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I got laid off after 10 years from a Chicago based company
I got laid off after 10 years from a Chicago based company and planned to draw unemployment in Michigan which is the state I live in. However now I may take a part time job. Can I still draw unemplyem… read more
Attorney Arcadier
Attorney Arcadier
Managing Attorney Partner,
The cold-hearted and callous termination ( after 15 years of
The cold-hearted and callous termination ( after 15 years of faithful service ) has impacted my son's livelihood and family's future (possible foreclosure, loss of medical coverage, loss of life insur… read more
Lawyer,
Hello...I received a letter from my employer saying my employment
Hello...I received a letter from my employer saying my employment was Voluntarily Terminated on October 14th. I did not quit my job. Do I have any recourse?… read more
Partner,
I have employed a dental assistant for 4 yrs. shes been in
I have employed a dental assistant for 4 yrs. she's been in the field for 30 yrs. she started @ $25/hr (too high then) & is at $27/hr now. the going rate for this position is $18-20/hr. she asked for … read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Consider a job offer from the same employer (Texas employer)
Consider a job offer from the same employer (Texas employer) as previous job, which I was layed off from: 1)will I risk losing unemployment compensation if I refuse a job from this employer ,and the n… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
I have been out of work for 7 months due to a complicated pregnancy,
I have been out of work for 7 months due to a complicated pregnancy, then delivery and recovery. My paid leave runs out on April 30th. Prior to leaving work I had several discussions with my employer … read more
Stop searching for answers—
I was employed by a company, 40 miles away from my home, to
I was employed by a company, 40 miles away from my home, to work maintenance. Showed up daily, on time, though because of traffic and work schedule, it absorbed 15-16 hours of each of my working day. … read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I am drawing my unemployment benefits and accepted a job. I
I am drawing my unemployment benefits and accepted a job. I haven't started yet and have found out I will not be getting the hours I was lead to believe. Instead of 30 hrs/wk it has been dropped twice… read more
Employment lawyer,
If you are offered a job that is 35 miles away and your injury
If you are offered a job that is 35 miles away and your injury will not allow you drive do you have to accept. The cost of having someone drive me is $20.00per hr (4 hr per day) plus $33.50 fuel fee f… read more
Cedric
Cedric
Attorney at Law,
Please let me know what my chances are. I live in California.
Please let me know what my chances are. I live in California. Here's my situation: I'm 2 months pregnant with my 2nd child and the pregnancy is really killing me. I get morning sickness all day long a… read more
Judith
Judith
Owner,
Worked as a CNA for 2 months at a hospital in CA. At Will
Worked as a CNA for 2 months at a hospital in CA. At Will employer in CA. They let me go after 2 months and stated, "I wasn't a good fit". I inquired if this was regarding patient care and they said, … read more
Lawgirl
Lawgirl
Founder,
I am asking this question for my 71 year old mother ...
I am asking this question for my 71 year old mother who is a part-time receptionist at a construction company in Bethesda MD. She was told on 4/4/08 by her supervisor that they are changing the nature… read more
JENN
JENN