Employment Law

My daughter was uable to work because of a high risk pregnancy…

Customer Question
My daughter was uable to...
My daughter was uable to work because of a high risk pregnancy she is under a doctors care and after one month of missing work she was not released by the doctor to return to work. Her company let her go do to not being able to perform her job duties. She is now being denied for unemployment due... Read full answer
My daughter was uable to work because of a high risk pregnancy she is under a doctors care and after one month of missing work she was not released by the doctor to return to work. Her company let her go do to not being able to perform her job duties. She is now being denied for unemployment due to not being physically able to work and not being released from a doctors not being able to serch for work. Can either of these occurences be illegalm or any action taken to help her? Now she has no way to pay for Cobra insurance for her care. She is due in soix months. We live in Texas
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Employment Law
10/11/2011
Employment Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

Unfortunately both rulings are correct. The employer would have to give her up to 12 weeks of job protected leave if she qualified for FMLA but based on your facts I assume either she did not qualify because she did not work there long enough or she did not ask for FMLA leave. The employer can fire her even if she is out for a medical reason.

As far as unemployment, since she got fired for a reason that was not misconduct she would normally be able to get unemployment benefits but you also have to be able an available to work to get the benefits. If she is medically restricted she is not able and available and the denial of benefits is legal. I am sorry. She should apply for Medicaid coverage for pregnant women and their children while she is pregnant and it continues for the child for one year after birth.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
We have a cafe and created an employee handbook in which we
We have a cafe and created an employee handbook in which we have set a condition that an individual doing waitressing can not work past the 8th month of pregnancy. We have an employee who thinks disag… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
I was a high risk pregnancy, I gave my employer the doctor's
I was a high risk pregnancy, I gave my employer the doctor's note that stated that I was to be on bed rest until delivery. When I asked my employer about returning to work after being released from my… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
How to terminate an employee in Florida that is on a 90-day
How to terminate an employee in Florida that is on a 90-day probation period that has missed days from work and may not be able to perform some duties and has informed that she is pregnant a week and … read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
I was hired by my former employer to work part time 32 hours
I was hired by my former employer to work part time 32 hours per week divided into 5 work days on September 14, 2012. Initially, I was able to get my work done within a 32 hour period, but the workloa… read more
Lawyer,
I live in Illinois and I work at an animal hospital. I didnt
I live in Illinois and I work at an animal hospital. I didnt have bad back issues before but over the five years my lower back hurt more and more. The job didnt help much as I had to do a lot of stand… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
Hello, I live in New York City. I started a job in January
Hello, I live in New York City. I started a job in January and 2 months ago I became pregnant with multiples. My pregnancy symptoms have been extremely severe and have caused me to miss work in the fi… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My daughter-in-law was hired by West Asset Management November
My daughter-in-law was hired by West Asset Management November 7th and they knew she was pregnant and she also told them she is high risk. After a month on the job, she was put on bed rest by her doct… read more
I left work in April of 2011 to have my first baby. I have
I left work in April of 2011 to have my first baby. I have been on FMLA since. I am now 4 and a half months pregnant with a second child and have not been back to work. I worked on salary and commissi… read more
Attorney,
I have become pregnant at the age of 54 through IVF. I am considered
I have become pregnant at the age of 54 through IVF. I am considered a high risk pregnancy. My job as a licensed psychologist requires that I restrain patients, and I am no longer able to do this. Las… read more
Lawyer,
Can an employer place you on FMLA if you have not requested
Can an employer place you on FMLA if you have not requested it and you don't have a medical need for it?… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
What is the employers responsibility on healthcare benefits.
What is the employer's responsibility on healthcare benefits. we are a private company with about 130 employees. The employer pays about 90% of the insurance premium, the employees pay the difference.… read more
my wife was informed yesterday that today (jan 30) would be
my wife was informed yesterday that today (jan 30) would be her last day until after her pregnancy because her doctor does not want her to lift more than 25 pounds repeatedly. She works in a grocery s… read more
Partner,
Stop searching for answers—
I am 6 months pregnant, and having pregnancy related complications.
I am 6 months pregnant, and having pregnancy related complications. I only have 16 hours remaining for FMLA. My conditions has limited me greatly due to chronic back pain and abdominal pain. It's been… read more
my mom lives in arizona and is being denied by her part-time
my mom lives in arizona and is being denied by her part-time (full benefits) employer wells fargo leave to help take care of her father who has alzheimers. what are her rights as far as medical benefi… read more
Attorney,
my daughter is a cna a certified nursing assistant in a nursing
my daughter is a cna a certified nursing assistant in a nursing home in indiana. She found out she is pregnant when she went to the doctor the doctor gave her a note saying she could not lift more tha… read more
Experienced Attorney
Experienced Attorney
several months back my wife became pregnant. She is a dolphin
several months back my wife became pregnant. She is a dolphin trainer and works in and around pools with animals. when she started to "show" 3 months in, her employer changed her position to a desk Jo… read more
Partner,
Off work for 7 months due to high risk pregnancey ...
Off work for 7 months due to high risk pregnancey first 12 weeks were FMLA doctor''s order Doctor released me to go back to work March 15th but with some restrictions work could not accomidate those r… read more
MartyBurbankLaw
MartyBurbankLaw
Jogoesq
Jogoesq
attorney,