Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I drive a company vehicle, but do not get paid the hours

that I drive. If I...
I drive a company vehicle, but do not get paid the hours that I drive. If I quit my job, can I sue for the time I drove and didn't get paid?
9/6/2011
It all depends. What do you mean you do not get paid for the time you drive? What drive time are you referring to? What type of job do you have, outside sales or what?
I am a supervisor for a construction company. I travel a 3 state area to work. Mondays we leave to a job site and on Fridays we come back home. I drive a company pickup but I do not get paid hourly for driving. Our jobs are anywhere from 1 to 6 hours from my house. My pay time does not start until I arrive to the job site. I thought that a person should get paid from the time he leaves to the job site. I was told that insurance would not cover unless I was on the clock.
The portal to portal rule under the Fair Labor Standards Act, states that the employer does not have to pay for the travel time from home to the job site and from the job site home, even if the employee drives a company vehicle unless the employee has to go to the employer's place of business first and then the time from the place of business to the job site and from the job site back to the office is compensable time under the FLSA (presuming you are an hourly and not a salaried employee). It is also not true that the insurance does not cover an employee when they are not on the clock, the fact is that does cover you in order to be proper insurance.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney