How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane T (LLC) Your Own Question
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8435
Experience:  Worked with employment legal group in major national corp.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Jane T (LLC) is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a home based business (an internet site that ships orders)

Resolved Question:

I have a home based business (an internet site that ships orders) but does not have actual customers coming to my home. Where woud I find information on rules/regulations/laws covering such a business?

Also, where do I find laws/regulations about employees regarding salaries, benefits, things that are legal/illegal or required by an employer? Is there one place to find all of thist type of information
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 6 years ago.

Jane T (LLC) :

HI, unfortunately there is no single place to get such information and yes, the information is not easy to work through or put together to see how exactly it all applies to you. First, business laws that affect a business vary on the basis of the type of business it is and the industry in which it operates. For example, state laws place different requirements on a corporation versus an LLC versus a partnership, etc. Federal tax laws also vary on that basis. Next, state laws concerning whether a business needs to have a permit or license to operate varies on the basis of what it is the business does (plumbing, sales (the kind of items sold), etc. Employees are covered by federal laws (anti-discrimination, minimum-wage (unless your state's min. wage laws require higher hourly pay) but the federal laws still counts for who can be an hourly employee, immigration laws require employers to verify right to work, IRS requiresW-2 forms to be filed, Social Security requires taxes to be taken out, state/city taxes, etc. Then there are the issues of workers' compensation, unemployment, the federal rights posters that the Department of Labor requires employers to post, and many more things. The best thing to do is speak to an attorney in your state. If that is not possible then you can obtain information and assistance from several different offices. The most central information may come from The Oklahoma Dept. of Commerce, here. There is also the OK Small Bus. Development Center here. .The OK website also provides a link to all state sources that can provide instruction on what a business has to do or not do here. Laws are organized, just like state and federal legal departments by topic. So, for employees unemployment is one agency, workers comp, another, wages another, benefits another, etc. This means that other than getting help from an agency designed to work with new businesses there may not be any other "one-stop-shop".

Jane T (LLC) and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you