Employment Law

wrongful termination, etc follow up to last year and added…

Customer Question
I am willing to add...
I am willing to add bonus to this if answered well:  Approximately 1 year ago I submitted concerns of certain discrimination and other issues with my employer on this website and received some help from someone named Tina. Can those questions be found and forwarded to me. I then want to... Read full answer
I am willing to add bonus to this if answered well:  Approximately 1 year ago I submitted concerns of certain discrimination and other issues with my employer on this website and received some help from someone named Tina. Can those questions be found and forwarded to me. I then want to mention that I HAVE since been fired (as mentioned about year ago, I suspected they were trying to get me to quit by harassing me, etc.. I did in fact complain to the bank president shortly after submitting questions on this site. This was not in writing, but I was afraid to make it to formal for fear of getting fired. I did say that I thought because I was a female executive that I was being demeaned and left out of things that the former CfO did. I said that I thought they were trying to hire another accountant just to eliminate my position. They assured me this was not the case. They since hired this person( approx 30..I am 48) to replace someone who quit. this was an opportunity to save money for which we strongly needed, but they insisted. It is my belief that this person is now doing my work along with outsourcing some to an accounting company. I think one motive could be to save money, but my thought is why not find a new EVP loan officer for it was clear this was why the bank was not profitable because we were extremely weak in loan growth(stronger in bond investments than loans). Further grounds of discrimination(gender). New president in April this year. Great for first couple weeks and then like night and day all changed. Same treatment as with other president only much worse. I asked for employee file and did not get til after I was fired and requested again. I asked to meet with president after I requested file and asked if he was aware of my complaint with former president-he said yes. I mentioned I felt he was doing same thing. He became agressive and got really mad. About a week later, he asked me to meet with a few others and said he no loner wanted me to access salary date, or to audit salary data(I just completed an audit of this and found that employees would be short 3.2% at end of year). I said i thought it was important for me to have access to this. Apparently that was insubordination and I was fired a week later. Severance offered was 11 weeks . They said I will get nothing for my executive retirment plan which was to pay 20% of salary at retirment(55 and 15 years of service). I had 11 years of service and age 48. I think the bank is also looking to sell and they dont want to pay this out( I would receive 100 % if sold) However, there are others in the plan. Family members and male executives. One other thing to mention...I was invited to an insurance meeting which I have never been invited to in past shortly after my complaint to former president. In that insurance meeting they discussed with our insurance contact(another family member, seems the shareholder own the city) adding employer liab of 1 mil to policy and then said lets increase to 2 mil. I think the meeting was to tell me they did not care if I complained-they have it covered. I truly dont think they added it but maybe. A local lawyer requested severance negotiation and stated some of issue above. In addition he said wrongful termination due to retaliation for me doing my job of audit capacity as CFO. Refused and reinstated original offer of 11 weeks and nothing for executive retirement plan. I feel I have following issues: discrimination age, discrimination gender, retaliation( for at least the three issues) harassment(trying to force me to quit by demeaning, etc.., pain and suffering due to all of this for some time. How can I find a lawyer who will take my case on a contingent basis. A lawyer locally told me these cases are very difficult to win. With all this it is hard to just walk away. The family that owns this bank is very wealthy and powerful, lawyers, judges, etc..and again due to their extreme wealth they influence " everybody" I think even local lawyers. I think it is best to find someone outside my local area for this reason. How can I find a lawyer who will take this on a contingent fee basis. I understand it may be very difficult to obtain future employment after this, but I find it hard to walk away from this . Please help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Employment Law
8/20/2011
Employment Lawyer: Legal eagle, Employment Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Legal eagle
Legal eagle, Employment Lawyer

Legal eagle :

What efforts have you made at this point to locate a lawyer?

Legal eagle :

What city are you located in?

JACUSTOMER-ajn766og- :

local city I live in and city where I work. First contact was a emp lawyer that represents lawyers. He referred me to one he knew and thought well of that represents employees. The latter said that very difficult to win such a case and wanted a very very large payment rather than working on contingent basis. Seems to me, someone very good must be willing to take this case on retainer.

JACUSTOMER-ajn766og- :

I am located in Moline IL.

JACUSTOMER-ajn766og- :

My comment said at first I contacted a lawyer that represents lawyers...I meant represent companies

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My father-in-law (FIL) passed away in April. He was an
My father-in-law (FIL) passed away in April. He was an employee with MCI for years and then Worldcom before and during the scandal that resulted in the CEO and CFO going to prison. My FIL was a direct… read more
Im afraid my job may be in jeopardy. Six months ago I was
I'm afraid my job may be in jeopardy. Six months ago I was promoted to the accounting dept at my work to assist with two Senior Accountants. I received inadequate training and then one of the Senior A… read more
Lawyer,
My husband has been employed as the CFO of a $50M, 300 employees
My husband has been employed as the CFO of a $50M, 300 employees government contracting firm for 8 years. When he began the company was $3M and bankrupted, my husband recapitalized the firm and was in… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Stop searching for answers—
My employer constantly rejects my expense reports. I submit
My employer constantly rejects my expense reports. I submit the receipts I have received and they reject the expense reimbursement wanting further documentation. This is usually because the receipt is… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
I am 62 yrs. old I was fired on August 29, 2012. I believe
I am 62 yrs. old I was fired on August 29, 2012. I believe I was fired for two or maybe three reasons. 1st my immediate supervisor (commercial business lender at bank) left the bank in May. I was his … read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
Hello, I am a human resources director for a credit union
Hello, I am a human resources director for a credit union in the state of Texas. This past week a recently promoted Sr. VP of Operations, female, hispanic, 42 years old was fired with no prior notice … read more
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hi, I was fired from a Senior Financial Analyst position at
Hi, I was fired from a Senior Financial Analyst position at a company called Global Scholar in Bellevue WA after 1 year of working there successfully. This, after I had just interviewed, quite success… read more
On Tuesday 6/28 I requested for some feedback on salary increases
On Tuesday 6/28 I requested for some feedback on salary increases for my staff and myself which are effective July 1 (fiscal year). I requested a meeting with my direct report (Director) who claimed n… read more
Lawyer,
The president of my company had a closed door meeting with
The president of my company had a "closed door" meeting with me this morning about my "retirement." He said it was customary with people my age (will be 65 in June). The company has no retirement poli… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
I will be 64 yrs old in July on 2011 and was terminated from
I will be 64 yrs old in July on 2011 and was terminated from my job on 3/11/11 for what was deemed an unsatisfactory corporate audit result. I would have been employed with UPS Freight for 8 years on … read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
Ive been a loyal employee for a Northeast Ohio company, Ohio
I've been a loyal employee for a Northeast Ohio company, Ohio Moulding Corp. for the past 11 years. Until recently I've had an excellent rapport with with management and their view of my work effort w… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
My former boss (President & CEO) left the company I presently
My former boss (President & CEO) left the company I presently work for at the end of last year. Now present management says my salary is too high. I work for an EVP/COO, the Chief Information Officer,… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I title is Human Resources and Administrative Manager, and
I title is Human Resources and Administrative Manager, and am a salary employee. No raises for four years. I have worked for the company for 16 years and have moved from Baraboo, WI to Genoa, IL when … read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I have been for a bank for 10 years, VP CFO. I am covered
I have been for a bank for 10 years, VP CFO. I am covered under a SERP plan. A non qualified retirement. These are designed to retain good employees and good for the employee as a benefit to stay. I s… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
Walter Wilde was the CFO of the Retailers Bank; Patricia Panik
Walter Wilde was the CFO of the Retailer's Bank; Patricia Panik was his Chief Teller and Bank Cashier. During a staff meeting among the bank's executive team, Walter selected a report documenting cust… read more
Attorney,
My boss put me on Notice for not exhibiting enough enthusiasm
My boss put me on Notice for not exhibiting enough enthusiasm and too many oversites which were unfounded. At our 2 week touchbase I pointed out that while he put me on notice for these oversites my c… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
I have been employed at a local bank ($5 billion in assets)
I have been employed at a local bank ($5 billion in assets) for the past 25 years. Up until 4/27/09, I served as an Executive Administrative Assistant to the President & COO from Feb. 08 until 4/27/09… read more
I was hired for my new job at $62,000.00. The new CFO wants ...
I was hired for my new job at $62,000.00. The new CFO wants to drop my salary to $40,000.00 so they can hire an Accounting Manager. I have been employed since 6/07. I was never given a review or a rai… read more
BusinessDoc
BusinessDoc