Employment Law

I live in the state of Nevada which recognizes Domestic Partnership…

Customer Question
I live in the state...
I live in the state of Nevada which recognizes Domestic Partnership to be almost the same as marriage. The company I work for allows domestic partners to be placed on our benefits program the same as married individuals. My company only allows for same-sex partners and not partners of the opposite sex to be placed on the ones insurance. I feel as... Read full answer
I live in the state of Nevada which recognizes Domestic Partnership to be almost the same as marriage. The company I work for allows domestic partners to be placed on our benefits program the same as married individuals. My company only allows for same-sex partners and not partners of the opposite sex to be placed on the ones insurance. I feel as if you allow one sexual preference you should allow other. It seems to me that I maybe being discriminating against. Do you feel this is possibly the case?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Employment Law
7/27/2011
Employment Lawyer: Law Answers, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Law Answers
Law Answers, Lawyer

Can you please clarify what it is that your company does not allow (does the company not allow a person to place his/her girlfriend or boyfriend on insurance)?

It doesn't allow for me to place my girlfriend on my insurance under the domestic partnership policy. Even though if I had a boyfriend I could get a paper signed by a public notary.

That has been a hotly debated topic, but ultimately, an employer can offer benefits to domestic partners that it offers to married couples. It is not discriminatory to fail to offer to heterosexual couples who are not married because the employer would not offer the insurance benefit to a homosexual couple who is not registered as domestic partners.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Okay, but even if the state of Nevada recognizes Domestic Partnership as being the samething as married? I just dont see how a company can pick and choose who they give benefits to under a law that the state has defined. There are other requiremets to my companys' domestic partnership and allow which we meet except the same-sex part. So ture we could go get married just like the homosexual couples could go get married as well (in some states) but I think we should be allowed the same benefits espically since the state I live in recgonizes it.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you a homosexual couple who has not registered as domestic partners?

No, we are hetrosexual couple who have registered with the state of Nevada Domestic Partnership law. I just don't understand since the State of Nevada recongnize us how come my employer wont? But had we been a homesexual couple that would work. I dont see how my employer can ignor the law that the state made in place back 2009? I don't believe they can say its okay for one sexual oreintation and not the other. That is where I believe the discrimination takes place.

I see. Here is the law regarding domestic partnership and health insurance benefits:

NRS 122A.210 Public and private employers not required to offer, and not prohibited from offering, health care benefits to or for domestic partner of officer or employee.

1. The provisions of this chapter do not require a public or private employer in this State to provide health care benefits to or for the domestic partner of an officer or employee.

2. Subsection 1 does not prohibit any public or private employer from voluntarily providing health care benefits to or for the domestic partner of an officer or employee upon such terms and conditions as the affected parties may deem appropriate.

Your employer has chosen to offer benefits to domestic partners however. The question then is whether offering benefits to homosexual domestic partners and not heterosexual domestic partners is discriminatory. Federal law does not currently prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. However, Nevada is one of the few states that does prohibit such discrimination. Therefore, failing to offer benefits to one group of people based on their sexual orientation may be discriminatory and therefore illegal.

Law Answers
Law Answers, Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I am trying to get health benefits with my employer under
I am trying to get health benefits with my employer under BCBS AL for my Girlfriend and I . We are a heterosexual couple living together in a home we own together. We have been together for 2.5 years … read more
Thank you in advance for your help with this question. My
Hello, thank you in advance for your help with this question.My partner and I have been in a domestic partnership for more than 30 years. As of January 1, 2017, I signed on to his health insurance pla… read more
An employer in California provides 100% health insurance for
An employer in California provides 100% health insurance for all employees. After 15 months of employment they allow children to come on the plan at no cost. Prior to that employee must pay 100% for d… read more
Stop searching for answers—
My company provides health care sex domestic partners but
My company provides health care for same sex domestic partners but denies the same coverage for opposite sex domestic partners in Florida. Is this discrimination? Can I benefit from pressing this from… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
, My same sex partner and I were married in Illinois
Hello, My same sex partner and I were married in Illinois on 11/27/2014. However, we live in MI where, to date, the marriage is not "legal". The question is, under the "Federal" requirement that all p… read more
Attorney,
This question concerns Iowa University health insurance policies.I
This question concerns Iowa University health insurance policies. I have noticed that different public universities in Iowa have different requirements for the health insurance coverage that can be of… read more
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I live in the state of Nevada where
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I live in the state of Nevada where the Partnership Law cover couples from the same and different sexes. Recently, my employer aproved the health coverage for couples that… read more
Lawyer,
I work for a company based in Massachusetts. My company provides
I work for a company based in Massachusetts. My company provides health insurance for same sex spouses or civil unions only if they are recognized in the state that you reside in. I live in Texas whic… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
My finacee and live together and work at the same place of
My finacee and live together and work at the same place of employment. her father passed away and she is entitled to 5 days and when a spouse or domestic partner is entitled to the same> our contac… read more
LadyJustice
LadyJustice
Attorney & Counselor At Law,
My current employer offers health insurance to all employees
My current employer offers health insurance to all employees that include singles, married couples, and same sex domestic partnerships. They however do not offer health insurance to opposite sex domes… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
My company denied medical insurance coverage to my fiance under
My company denied medical insurance coverage to my fiance under it's domestic partnership coverage plan because we are of the opposite sex. This decision was made after presenting my human resources b… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
I recently started a new job. My employer offers health/dental
I recently started a new job. My employer offers health/dental insurance to married and same sex domestic partners but does not offer health/dental insurance for opposite sex (male/female) domestic pa… read more
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I was recently fired from my job of three years for a reason
I was recently fired from my job of three years for a reason I consider sexual discrimination I was the only female employee and I got upset at things at theoffice no more than anyone else probably le… read more
Attorney at Law,
My place of employment (a hospital) offers health insurance
My place of employment (a hospital) offers health insurance benefits for same-sex partners, but not for a legally domiciled adult (partner) of opposite sex. Is that legal?? I live in Oregon.… read more
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
My parents have been together for 26 years, not leagally married
My parents have been together for 26 years, not leagally married and this year filed a joint return, how does this affect mothers TIAA… read more
Do you have to be same sex to claim domestic partner for health
Do you have to be same sex to claim domestic partner for health insurance or can you just be in a committed long term relationship? My x husband and I are still together just not married and he was ju… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
I have been trying to get health insurance for my domestic
I have been trying to get health insurance for my domestic Partner through my employer for almost a year now. I was told first, that they do not cover domestic partners. Then when I reasearched a litt… read more
Counselor
Counselor
Is the domestic partnership rights law recently passed in ...
Is the domestic partnership rights law recently passed in Portland OR only for gay couples? Can a company or corporation discriminate against heterosexuals domestic partners"as they have a choice to m… read more
BusinessDoc
BusinessDoc