AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

How the labor law work reguarding driving time to jobsite in

How the labor law work reguarding driving time to jobsite in the morning and from jobsite at the end of the shift?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon!

I'm sorry but I'm not really sure what you want to know.

Are you wondering about an employee's travel from home to work and from work to home?
Can you elaborate on your question?

Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Our employees meet at our shop in the morning.Get into a company truck and drive to the jobsite and viseversa at the end of work day.

Good afternoon!

Travel from home to work generally need not be compensated, regardless of the distance.
However, travel between job sites or travel from an employer's office to a job site is part of the day's work and must typically be compensated under the FLSA.
See http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.htm

I know that this probably isn't entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Even if only one one employee is acually working (the driver) all outher employees have to get paid?

An employer has to pay all employees for travel time occurs as part of the work day.
"Working" is loosely defined. If an employee can't reasonably use time for his/her own pursuits, the time counts as hours worked.
An employee who is riding between job sites is working, though another employee may be doing the driving. This is because the employee's time is being restricted for the employer's purposes.
This is similar to an employee who is working in an empty store. Even if the employee is sitting on a chair, reading a book and waiting for customers to come, the employee is working because the employee's time is being used to achieve the employer's goals.