Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

If I give my employer a 30 day notice of resignation, voluntarily

Customer Question
and they agree to pay...
If I give my employer a 30 day notice of resignation, voluntarily and they agree to pay me out and make that day my last day, am I precluded from starting a new job before the 30 day notice period has expired?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/17/2011
Employment Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Good morning!

If an employee is no longer actually working for an employer, the employee may seek other employment unless there's some agreement that the employer has retained the employee and can recall the employee during that period, in which case the employee may need to be available if he/she has been retained to return.
In other words, the fact that an employer has paid an employee in lieu notice does not typically prevent the employee from starting another job.
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer