Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

i need to take intermittent fmla to care for my mother-in-law who has terminal leukemia as

i need to take intermittent fmla to care for my mother-in-law who has terminal leukemia as there is no one else to do this. I am being told my mother-in-law does not qualify as a parent therefore my leave will not be granted even though I have no one else able to care for her. Is this correct?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your dilemma. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Is your mother-in-law the mother of your current husband?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes mother-in-law of my current husband who has two herniated discs in lower back & cannot deliver the care needed.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately your employer is correct. Employee has the right to take leave only to care for someone who is the biological or adoptive parent or who acted as his or her parent during the employee's childhood. That said, you may be able to take FMLA to care for your husband due to his 2 herniated discs. This would give you the job protected time off that you need to care for your mother in law