How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20357
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i sue an employer for falsely accusing me of stealing

Resolved Question:

can i sue an employer for falsely accusing me of stealing money?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately unless your employer knew what they were saying was false versus wrongly believing it was true, you cannot sue your employer for being wrong. The only way you would have a cause of action against your employer is if they knew what they were saying was false and they made either a false police report or they told somebody else something they knew was false about you. In that case, you might have a cause of action for defamation of character. Otherwise, if they were just wrong, you have no cause of action.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have requested a copy of the police report, but since the case is still open, I cannot obtain a copy until the case is closed. What exactly is defamation of character? What do I need to look for in the police report?1
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.

You could not file suit for defamation of character for a police report. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. If a false statement was made to the police that your employer knew was false when they made it, then that would be filing a false police report and if you could prove that they knew it was false you could either press criminal charges or sue them in civil court for that. The only time you would have a defamation of character suit is if they made the same statements that they did to the police to a third party that was not privileged. For example, if they told a prospective employer of yours or someone else outside your company. In that case, if the statement was false, they knew or should have know it was false when they made it, and it damages your reputation, then that is defamation of character (slander/libel.)

So, when you do get a chance to see the police report, if there is something that they said that they knew was false. Then you need to either file a criminal charge or sue for, as I mentioned, filing a false police report.
Marsha411JD and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you