Employment Law

I operate Car washes in GA, TN, WI, OH, KY and MN. Due to the…

I operate Car washes in...
I operate Car washes in GA, TN, WI, OH, KY and MN. Due to the nature of our business we often have employees show up before we have customers.

2 questions:

1-If an employee shows up before he/she is scheduled to work is it appropriate for him/her to wait in the lobby/break area until he/she punches in or should I keep them off of... Read full answer

2 questions:

1-If an employee shows up before he/she is scheduled to work is it appropriate for him/her to wait in the lobby/break area until he/she punches in or should I keep them off of the property until punch ion time?

2-Can I ask an employee to not punch in until we are busy enough to use their services? Often I will tell an employee that I don't need them because of weathjer and they will ask if they can wait around to see if it gets busy.

Thanks!
4/15/2011
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Thank you for using Just Answer. Between my law practice and other law related jobs, I have over 13 years experience. I look forward to assisting you.

1. If you aren't requiring them to show up and wait around, then it doesn't really matter that they are on the property. Now, if you don't even allow them on the property, that keeps anyone from claiming that you required them to wait around during what should be there own time.

2. No. At that point, you'd be controlling their location and behavior (you need to be here and wait), which is compensable time. You'd be subject to a Department of Labor complaint and investigation for doing that. Now, if you say "we aren't busy enough, so you're off" that's fine. If they choose to sit around, on their own, waiting to see if you get busy, that is their choice. It just can't be something that you tell them to do, like it's a duty or requirement; meaning that they should be equally allowed to just go home without penalty if they wish.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My business has slowed down because we are a seasonal
My business has slowed down because we are a seasonal business. I cut all employees hours equally down. I have this employee that has been complaining about her hours cut. I told her I would give her … read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
TN law states that meal breaks wage earners is below. My
TN law states that meal breaks for hourly wage earners is below. My question is, if I am scheduled to work 8 hours in a day, is it mandatory that I HAVE to take a meal break at the end of the 6th hour… read more
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Attorney,
This question is about a nursing home where my girlfriend
This question is about a nursing home where my girlfriend work. She sopose to take 30min to eat every day but they get mad when she does and most of the time she doesn't get one. She was told to wash … read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
This is our ski school policy, is this legal in the state of
This is our ski school policy, is this legal in the state of Minnesota? Also, does Anything change for employees 17 and under? PAYROLL POLICY Currently all Ski and Ride School employees scheduled for … read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
I am an employer. I am looking for language to print on the
I am an employer. I am looking for language to print on the bottom of time cards that disclose the penalties for falsifying hours worked. We are having issues of several employees punching in but not … read more
I was let go from national company and when I received my last
I was let go from national company and when I received my last pay check there where 10 plus hours unaccounted for. I email Branch Manager, head of HR and President of company. Where or what else can … read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
We operate 15 car washes in 6 states (TN, KY, GA, OH, MN, &
We operate 15 car washes in 6 states (TN, KY, GA, OH, MN, & WI). Weather plays a large role in the staffing of our stores. What legal issues do we face when we send employees home because of bad weath… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
We operate car washes in six states: TN, GA, WI, MN, OH, &
We operate car washes in six states: TN, GA, WI, MN, OH, & KY. How long must we keep our electronic time card records of hour worked? Thanks!… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
We operate car washes in 6 states: TN, KY, GA, OH, MN, WI.
We operate car washes in 6 states: TN, KY, GA, OH, MN, WI. What are the OSHEA requirements for the contents of a first aid kit?… read more
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw
Attorney,
I operate car washes in KY, MN, OH, TN, GA & WI. What break
I operate car washes in KY, MN, OH, TN, GA & WI. What break periods must I provide to my employees that earn an hourly wage? Can those break periods be unpaid? All employees are over the age of 18.… read more
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw
Attorney,
We operate 20 car washes in 6 states (GA, TN, MN, WI, OH & KY). We wanted to upgrade t
We operate 20 car washes in 6 states (GA, TN, MN, WI, OH & KY). We wanted to upgrade the staff at our locations and made it mandatory for all current employees and all future employees to take and "pa… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
We operate 20 car washes in six states (TN, GA, OH, WI, KY,
We operate 20 car washes in six states (TN, GA, OH, WI, KY, and MN). We require our employees to wear uniforms (typically inexpensive Tee shirts with our logo. Can we charge for the shirts even if it … read more
Partner,
Stop searching for answers—
Our company operates 20 carwashes in 6 states (MN, WI, TN,
Our company operates 20 carwashes in 6 states (MN, WI, TN, KY, OH and GA). Our corporate office is in Arizona. Paydays are every other Wednesday. Reccently Arizona has faced severe weather and for the… read more
Attorney at Law,
My company recently lost the contract for our business in Louisville,
My company recently lost the contract for our business in Louisville, KY. There have been several positions open up in other cities for similar positions but these are all being filled by temp agency … read more
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, BSBA
We are a family owned/operated assisted living company. We
We are a family owned/operated assisted living company. We have been open for 16 years, but in the past 2 years, we have lost nearly every unemployment compensation case. It seems as if the eligibilit… read more
Attorney at Law,
I work at Tosh Farms, Henry TN. I have been made to work 18
I work at Tosh Farms, Henry TN. I have been made to work 18 days 7 days a week 12 hours a day with no break at all during this period. I'm having to eat when i can while i work. Not a sit down and eat… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
My employer is not reporting all employees hours to the payroll
My employer is not reporting all employees hours to the payroll processing firm. Employer is not paying all monies due. Employer pays on random dates not according to a pay schedule. (North Carolina) … read more
legaleagle
legaleagle
Attorney,
I am a non-exempt employee in Duluth, MN and normally work
I am a non-exempt employee in Duluth, MN and normally work a 40 hr week. The company is trying to give us at least a 30 hr workweek and when business is really slow, we are told we have to punch out a… read more