Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My employer changed my work schedule after it had been posted

for several days without ever...
My employer changed my work schedule after it had been posted for several days without ever telling me. Can a employer change your work schedule last minute without even informing me? i found out one day before. I guess my question is can an employer make you work on a scheduled day off without even informing an employee? Room for abuse sounds high. if i wanted to fire someone id schedule day before and fire them for not showing up. doesnt seem right.
3/28/2011
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Assuming that there is no employment contract or company policy that mandates a fixed schedule, an employer is always free to change an employee's schedule. Certainly it would be ridiculous to think that an employer could change an employee's schedule without the employer having access to that change or otherwise being notified of it, but there is nothing unlawful with changing the schedule the day before someone is scheduled. However, if there was no way that the employee could have known, then they couldn't be disciplined for missing work. Of course that assumes no ability to know. Otherwise, if they could have checked where the schedule was posted or received a call saying you need to come to work, then they have a duty to show up or can be disciplined for not doing so.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Thank you for your feed back.
You're welcome and best of luck to you.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer