Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work at WalMart. The policy for calling off work is this

: you call an 800...
I work at WalMart. The policy for calling off work is this : you call an 800 number and answer all of their questions. After all of that, they connect you with your walmart to let them know that you called of. Keep in mind, when you call off it immediatly goes into their computer. They know you called off. Anyway, many times I have needed to call of because I use FMLA to help care for my mother who has COPD and I have a mentally handicapped sister. My dad had no choice but to call me back home to live. Here is my question, sometimes when I call off the phones at my walmart just rings and rings. I counted 32 rings one day. So my question is: Is it not their respnsibility to pick up the phone when someone calls off? It has happened often. Thank You.
3/8/2011
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

They should be answering the phone, but, as an employee, the burden is ultimately on you to let the employer know if you won't be at work. You wouldn't really have a claim against them unless there was some evidence that they are intentionally refusing to pick up the phone so people can't call in and would get fired. Unless you're calling outside of published hours for the phone line, it's probably an issue where everyone is on another line and can't get to the phone.

If you're concerned, you can certainly bring it up with HR. You can ask them if there is some alternate policy for when you are unable to get through.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer