How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employment was suddenly terminated yesterday. Id like to

This answer was rated:

My employment was suddenly terminated yesterday. I’d like to find a very good employment attorney in Chicago, with proven record of effective success. I’d like to discuss if my case could have grounds for wrongful termination. Female preferred. Thanks
Hello and thank you for using the JA website. Please remember that this site is intended to provide general legal information only.

Are you simply looking for information on legal referral services?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm looking for a good employment attorney in Chicago. I’d like to discuss whether or not my case qualifies as wrongful termination. If this is true, I'd like the attorney to represent me in the litigation.
Are you simply looking for information on legal referral services?

We cannot give referrals on this site which is why I asked the above question. If the answer is yes, then I can give you the names of such services. If the answer is that you are looking for a specific referral, we cannot do that through this site.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Here is a link to the Chicago Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That I already knew... Sorry I cannot accept this answer.
I asked you twice if you were asking for a lawyer referral service and you answered "yes". Not sure why you answered yes if you meant no.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I asked for the name and contact of a qualified employment lawyer, not for the commonly known referral service. That's why I answered "yes."
If your answer was yes, then you must have misread my question and statements to you. You can re-read what I asked above. You can also re-read the terms of service of this website. In the meantime, I will ask a moderator to have this thread closed.

Hello - I'm sorry that your previous Expert opted out of your question.


We cannot give you the names of individual attorneys through Just Answer. What we can do is provide links to resources, where you can find an attorney.



In Illinois, if you want to find an employment attorney you may want to first try through this organization:


You can find trial attorneys through here:


Another place is the bar association's web site:


Don't actually HIRE an attorney without first checking references. And don't try to pick the attorney's brain on the phone. Schedule an appointment and visit the office, like you would for a doctor!


I'm very sorry about your termination. Do you want to discuss what happened?


If you think that you were the victim of illegal discrimination (race, gender, national origin, disability, etc) and there are enough employees, in Illinois, you can file a complaint here:


You can contact the EEOC here: (there's a ton of great information at this website!)


If you start with the state agency, in most states they'll file a complaint with the EEOC on your behalf at the same time.


There are deadlines for filing, so don't delay!


Complaint investigations are free. They're not always the best, XXXXX XXXXX do get a free investigation. If it looks like they are going to file a "no cause" finding, withdraw your complaint before they do. That way, if you go to court, a "no cause" finding can't be used against you.



I'll assume that I have answered your question and will "ACCEPT" my answer unless I hear back from you with follow-up questions.


Bonuses of even a few dollars are much appreciated.




My best,


Jane Doe Deer









Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to talk to you now. How?

Sorry, but we can only communicate through JustAnswer.


How can I be of further help to you?



Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience: Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
Jane Doe Deer and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Which City?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You can provide links to resources. I need one link where I can the resource I need to talk to now

Today's Saturday. You're not likely to reach a practicing attorney on the weekend.


Do you have some specific questions you'd like to run by me?


I work from home, and I'm going back and forth between chores and questions, but am happy to try and help you further.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had a meeting with my boss Thursday morning. When I arrived, she took me to the HR office where the Director of HR and my boss told me that my job performance was below expectations and my boss told me I should resign. Being in a state of deepest shock (I’m 59 and was never fired in my life) I hand-wrote and signed the following sentence on a piece of paper, readily handed to me by Director of HR: “Please accept my resignation from the position of Clinical Informatics Manager, effective as of 3/3/2011.”

Next, I was given about 15 minutes to gather my personal belongings into a box and was escorted by Director of HR out of the building. I’m still in a state of shock and, from reading about unemployment benefits I’m learning I’m not eligible because my case was not the involuntary reparation. It was but they played it that way so they don’t have to pay the severance package. From a great grapevine I heard that place was notorious about refusing the unemployment benefits to many in the past. I will accept your next answer use irek05atcomcastdotnet thank you.

We can keep talking even after you accept.


Since you were coerced into signing a resignation, I suggest that you still go ahead and apply for unemployment on Monday, and also file an age discrimination complaint with both the state and federal agencies. As far as unemployment goes, don't get discouraged if you first get turned down. Appeal. A LOT of people win on appeal after being turned down initially.


If you had an employment contract, I especially urge you to sit down with an employment attorney and have him or her review the contract and the circumstances. It's not something I can do through JA, because that would be giving direct legal advice, and I can't do that.


Make sure when you make an appointment to talk with an attorney in person that the attorney has at least five years experience in employment discrimination. Larger law firms have more resources, and may be willing to take a case on contingency (commission) (You would have to pay costs).


I also want to suggest that if you need someone with whom to talk/cry/etc today, call your local Crisis Clinic number. You can talk with someone anonymously today. The person won't be able to address your legal issues, but it may be helpful.


I also want to suggest that you take good care of yourself, since this is indeed a major shock. Call your support system friends and get yourself some hugs, a backrub, etc. Unfortunately, yours is not the kind of problem that is going to be solved quickly, so you also need to start thinking of backup plans - financially and otherwise.


I am going to be gone for the next 30 to 60 minutes. I'd appreciate an "accept" of my answer, but as I said before, I'll keep writing to you if you'd like, even after you accept. I'm here to help people.


I wish I could give you a hug myself. I'm so sorry about what happened to you, but please, it's not the end of the world. (You know, one door closes and another opens).


My very best,