How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been doing a loan assistant job for 18 months. Prior

Resolved Question:

I have been doing a loan assistant job for 18 months. Prior to that, I was a construction draw assistant. A construction draw assistant makes less and is in a lower pay range than a loan assistant. For all this time, although there have been many requests, they have not changed my title. It still shows in the system as Construction Draw assistant. This employer is a bank that has had to tighten the belt over the last three years and so there have been no raises during that time. Now, we are merging with our parent bank and they are revamping all the functions and salary ranges. Now when I ask about new title and accompanying increase, I'm told they are working on reconstructing that entire section due to the merger. So, it's been 3 years since a raise, 18 months of doing a job I'm not being paid for and I keep getting the brush off..."we have frozen all increases", then "we are studying it due to merger". Meanwhile, this month they have given raises for the first time in three years and I got 2.5%. Can they hold back changing my title all this time when I'm performing that function?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.



Answer: There are no laws or rules that determine what a private employer can or cannot call its employees. In fact, the employer could change your job title daily, or never give you one at all.


However, if you did not receive all of your pay for the 18 months you worked in a different position, you could try filing a wage claim. It's free to do so, and in most states one is protected from retaliation (ask the state agency).


In CO, here is where you can file the complaint forms:




I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please

"ACCEPT" my answer.


There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my followup answers because I may be helping other customers, conducting legal research, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


Bonuses of even a dollar are much appreciated and help support this site.



I REALLY appreciate FEEDBACK so that I can continuously improve!


All my best,


Jane Doe Deer


Jane Doe Deer and 3 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you