Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
10033880

At age 55 (April 4. 2011) I become qualified to receive retirement

At age 55 (April 4. 2011) I become qualified to receive retirement benefits. I have pulled retirement papers with a retire date of May 1. Meanwhile; a strike vote is going to be done on Sunday March 6.

Will I lose my benefit if I have to strike?

If the company doesn't cave to the Union, they might shut down operations at the current location. Will I lose my retirement benefit then?

thank you

Jane Doe Deer :

No, you wouldn't lose your pension if the union strikes.

Besides, your pension is protected by the this federal agency: http://www.pbgc.gov/

I'm wondering why you were worrying about this. Did someone say something to you?

My best,

Jane

Customer:

it's just that so much is heard about companies trying to get out of paying a pension with laying employees off before the "magic" age is reached etc.....and the worry about crossing the picket line and repercussions of the union members.