Employment Law

This is in Indiana an older lady I work with tripped on a work…

Customer Question
This is in Indiana an...
This is in Indiana an older lady I work with tripped on a work mat falling hurt her wrist an begins swelling taken to office report filed sent her back on the job with ice packed taped on saying when safety director got there she would take her to dr. obviously everyone could tell she was in alot pain wrist continuing... Read full answer
This is in Indiana an older lady I work with tripped on a work mat falling hurt her wrist an begins swelling taken to office report filed sent her back on the job with ice packed taped on saying when safety director got there she would take her to dr. obviously everyone could tell she was in alot pain wrist continuing to swell limited movement now at the end of 8 hrs safety director calls and says she doesnt have time someone at plant would have to take her.
Next morning she came to work cast on wrist was broke no days off no restriction this job requires repitious movement from both hands and arms an lifting all day!! First question she didnt refuse returning to her job but how can her wrist heal properly using it an possibly causing more damage does she have any rights to say she's not refusing to work but this is causing her pain etc..without getting fired?
Question 2. Same woman fastforward cast off wearing brace til doctor says completely healed...last week lifting a heavy piece she felt the wrist pop reports it her wrist keeps hurting reports again she keeps working but puts on her brace safetly director comes in tells her she CAN NOT WEAR HER BRACE her wrist is fine probably jus a sprang told her to quit smoking and they would not take her to the doctor even knowing 3 months before this is one that she broke? Does she have any rights since this is same injured arm? Does a safety director have the right to make you remove a brace an tell you not to use it? How can this be legal she is not a doctor only training in medical is same first all safety commity gets is this legal to possiliby cause an employee bodily harm
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/15/2011
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
She has rights under workers compensation that she can exercise and the safety director has no rights to override the medical doctor treating the person. At this point, she needs to sit with a local workers compensation law attorney and file a complaint against the company and she needs to go out of work and collect workers compensation benefits until she heals.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Workers Comp law: About 6 months ago I got injured at work
Workers Comp law: About 6 months ago I got injured at work (Tractor Steering broke and my wrist and shoulder got hurt) I was sent to the doctors a few times, Physical Therapy and then they gave me a b… read more
Attorney,
i broke my hand yesterday and it is a minor hairline fracture.
i broke my hand yesterday and it is a minor hairline fracture. i have a temp cast until the swelling goes down in a week; at that time i will have a short cast that will give me 100% freedom to comple… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
I live & work in Indiana. On March 4th this year I filed a
I live & work in Indiana. On March 4th this year I filed a Workers Comp claim related to tendonitis of my dominant hand/wrist. I work as a Case Manager for a Home Health agency that doesn't use comput… read more
Employment Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
i slipped and fell on my job on 10/12/11. i did report, but
i slipped and fell on my job on 10/12/11. i did report, but thought very bad sprang of right wrist, didn't seek treatment; medicated & treated myself as necessary. mid december, awaken by sever pain &… read more
Attorney,
I hurt my hand and doctor recomended surgery. He said that
I hurt my hand and doctor recomended surgery. He said that it would get rid of pain. I had Surgery. The acuscrew failed and had another surgery to remove screw. I was released to go back to work still… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
My wife is a full time employee with walmart and a few months
My wife is a full time employee with walmart and a few months ago she got an injury to the nerves in her arm which her doctors say was caused by her job. She is currently on workman's comp and, by the… read more
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
This next question is related to the first question I asked
This next question is related to the first question I asked you on 1/24/2012. This same employee who has a broken arm in a hard cast has as of today obtained a Dr.'s release to return to work stating … read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
I as at home lifing some furniture and back went out. I called
I as at home lifing some furniture and back went out. I called in sick on a Monday reporting my back was out. My boss told me she wanted me to bring in Doctor's note, so had to make a doctor's appoint… read more
laborlawyer1
laborlawyer1
I am a licensed vocational nurse. I broke my elbow 12/27/11
I am a licensed vocational nurse. I broke my elbow 12/27/11 at work: I tripped over a bed alarm cord hanging down under my patient's bed (it was supposed to be attached to the bed, not hanging down). … read more
Attorney Arcadier
Attorney Arcadier
Managing Attorney Partner,
I am a first grade teacher in SC. Last year in October, I
I am a first grade teacher in SC. Last year in October, I broke my knee cap. I was out of school for 6 weeks. At 6 weeks, my orthopaedic surgeon released me to go back to school with a brace on my kne… read more
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Attorney,
While working for a temp agency at a local hospital, I was
While working for a temp agency at a local hospital, I was assigned to do data entry. The desk at which I was sitting was so ergonomically incorrect, it was painful. The chairs were so big, I couldn't… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
I have a workers comp injury..My diagnosis right and left deQuervains,bilateral
I have a workers comp injury..My diagnosis right and left deQuervain's,bilateral wrist pain with osteoarthritis of the CMC joints,Dr. took exrays stated also have bone on bone rubbing and muliple bone… read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
This question is about an accident at work. in 2009 I slipped
This question is about an accident at work. in 2009 I slipped and fell injuring my right ankle, after many doctors, test and reviews, Work Comp finally agreed to surgery; 11 months later. I had a dors… read more
I had a right wrist injury and was realeased from my Dr in
I had a right wrist injury and was realeased from my Dr in March of this year. I started a new job in April and everything was fine. In May I caught a patient and hurt both wrists. I have been wearing… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
I have reacently been terminated from a job where I had sustained
I have reacently been terminated from a job where I had sustained an work related injury. The Injury had occured while I was working about a week and a half to a full two weeks before my termination. … read more
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, BSBA
I am 66 yrs old and I am employed by the state of Md. Tues
I am 66 yrs old and I am employed by the state of Md. Tues morning arriving at work at 6am parking lot was only roughly cleared for employee parking. I parked on a solid sheet of ice very carefully wa… read more
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
was hurt on the job didnt report right away thought it would
was hurt on the job didnt report right away thought it would go away but worsened going to there doctor wearing a neck collar to work they seem to be trying to get me to quit on limited work hours fro… read more
Anne
Anne
Attorney,
I fel like I have been black balled from the enitre cleveland
I fel like I have been black balled from the enitre cleveland clinc system to get a job. what should I do. should I go up to the director of Human Resources or can they just do what they want in that … read more
Partner,