Employment Law

During a probationary period of time can an employee be demoted…

Customer Question
During a probationary period of...
During a probationary period of time can an employee be demoted without being observed? Without proper training? Without any documentation from immediate supervisor addressing issues? Without receiving an evaluation as required?... Read full answer
During a probationary period of time can an employee be demoted without being observed? Without proper training? Without any documentation from immediate supervisor addressing issues? Without receiving an evaluation as required?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/30/2011
Employment Lawyer: wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer

wallstreetesq. :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

wallstreetesq. :

If you are an at will employee the employer is allowed to change your work position.

wallstreetesq. :

However, if you signed a contract stating what your job duties are and what your salary would be, that would be different and they would be bound by the terms of your agreement.

Customer :

I work for a government agency, I did not sign a contract. I went through the hiring process and was promoted. At the time I was demoted, my supervisor did not realize I was still on probation, it came up in our conversation. I had a co-worker who complained and my supervisor made her decision based on verbage "age discrimination" "work-place harrassment". My supervisor had a private meeting with my co-workers and without my knowledge and without ever observing our shift work together took the negative comments even though it involved only one (2) co-worker.

wallstreetesq. :

If you worked for a government agency you may be protected by company policy, however when in a probationary period the employer would be able to rescind an offer during that time.

wallstreetesq. :

You will need to review the govermnent agency policy and HR employment policy to see if you were given any rights while being in probation.

Customer :

Even though I was not observed in the work place with my co-worker, We work a night shift and at no time was my supervisor present? Even though I was denied crucial training?

wallstreetesq. :

Yes, as you are an at will employee which means the employer can demote you or fire you for any reason.

wallstreetesq. :

The issue is were you given rights as a full government employee would have such as "cause" to be proven for demotion or termination.

wallstreetesq. :

If you were afforded rights through the HR policy or contract than you could sue them for their actions

wallstreetesq. :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

wallstreetesq. :

If you are satisfied with our service please press the accept button so we can reeive credit.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have been on FMLA for the past year intermentently. It ran
I have been on FMLA for the past year intermentently. It ran out in November so the HR rep told me there wasn't an issue with me switching to ADA since the illness is covered under that as well. I was… read more
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark
Attorney,
I am creating an Employee Handbook for a friend's start up
I am creating an Employee Handbook for a friend's start up company. I am in HR, but fairly new, and I want to verify the 90 probationary policy for California. Is this necessary? I have a 90 day waiti… read more
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
Performance Improvement Plan rules/regs Please comment on
Performance Improvement Plan rules/regs Please comment on following: new supervisor for "PIP" for whom employee never worked before.......supervisor of record sat in and monitored, taking notes (which… read more
Stop searching for answers—
I work in an at-will employment state (Alabama). I was recently
I work in an at-will employment state (Alabama). I was recently terminated, and I believe that it was unjust. My termination letter states that I was terminated for poor performance, but I was told (v… read more
Lawyer,
I was released from employment from a California County position
I was released from employment from a California County position after approximately 30 days of employment. The only explanation was that I was not a "good fit". Prior to being hired for this position… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney at Law,
I worked onboard a major cruise ship out of Florida, (although
I worked onboard a major cruise ship out of Florida, (although the ship was registered in the bahamas). My question is that of wrongful termination. During my first 90 days, I received two discipline … read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Can you sue an employer for wrongful termination for no written
Can you sue an employer for wrongful termination for no written performance evaluation or process improvement plan? Facts Worked in a union shop manufacturing company since November/ 2011. Last week I… read more
Lawyer,
Im writing for my spouse. This is in IL. This person was hired
I'm writing for my spouse. This is in IL. This person was hired in 2011 by a college at an administrator level with a one year contract that had a six month probationary period. In summary, two perfor… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
I was terminated stating that because I was not able to complete
I was terminated stating that because I was not able to complete my 6 months probation. On my third month of probation I requested twice to have my supervisor evaluate my performance and to help set u… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Is not a good fit a legitimate reason for termination of
Is "not a good fit" a legitimate reason for termination of employment during the probationary period? The probationary period is one year (I was there 10 months). There were HR issues with verbal abus… read more
Attorney,
I was wrongfully terminated. I was the Sales Manager at a Hotel.
I was wrongfully terminated. I was the Sales Manager at a Hotel. My previous employer did not follow their own progressive disciplinary policy. I was with the company almost 4 months when I was placed… read more
legaleagle
legaleagle
Attorney,
I reside in Michigan and was terminated for poor performance
I reside in Michigan and was terminated for poor performance by my employer (a large global appliance company) two weeks ago. Below is the published company policy. My supervisor did not adhere to the… read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
If an employee is out on leave and is covered under FMLA for
If an employee is out on leave and is covered under FMLA for a serious health condition, can the employer bring the employee back at a lower level position? If the employee was a supervisor, can the e… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
According to the rules and regulations in the HOP of the University,
According to the rules and regulations in the HOP of the University, probationary employee must receive written performance evaulation at 2 and 5 months time, which must describe the performance and h… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I was released from my 6 month probationary period at UCLA
I was released from my 6 month probationary period at UCLA yesterday after only 2 months without any reason except "that they felt it just wasn't the right fit." I was originally hired for a superviso… read more
Litigation Attorney,
The emlpoyee is probationary and has distorted perceptions
The emlpoyee is probationary and has distorted perceptions of experience in the work place. This individual has not discussed persecutory beliefs with immediate supervisor but to HR. Work performance … read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
Can I be demoted without just cause My employer is demoting
Can I be demoted without just cause? My employer is demoting me stating that my job is being eliminated but they will be immediately replacing someone in my position. I have been at the company for 10… read more
Partner,
Can an employer extend a probationary period of ...
Can an employer extend a probationary period of employment two weeks prior to completion of probation base on verbal conversations on performance with no prior verbal or written documentation of any t… read more
Terri
Terri
Clinical Psychologist,
Master Degree