Employment Law

I want to have employees wear uniforms and have them pay for…

Customer Question
I want to have employees...
I want to have employees wear uniforms and have them pay for them. Is there any way I can do this legally?... Read full answer
I want to have employees wear uniforms and have them pay for them. Is there any way I can do this legally?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
11/22/2010
Employment Lawyer: Law Answers, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Law Answers
Law Answers, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

In California, if an employer requires the employees to wear uniforms, the employer must pay the cost for it. (Ca. Labor Code Section 2802). If the uniform is a basic wardrobe item that can be worn as street clothes (such as a white shirt with black pants, etc.), it would not be the type of uniform that an employer must pay for.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

But I thought that if the uniform is what is a standard uniform that is worn in the industry like scrubs and lab coats in the medical field then you can require an employee to purchase them

If the uniform is generally usable in the employee's occupation, the employer does not have to pay for it. To use your example, a nurse can wear white scrubs to any nursing position, and therefore, the employer does not have to bear the cost.

what about another color of scrub? They can wear that at another place also?

That depends on the what is acceptable attire in the particular locale. If the employee would be able to wear another color at other places of employment, then the employee would not have to bear the cost.

Law Answers
Law Answers, Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Just curious if an employment contract as a caregiver can
Just curious if an employment contract as a caregiver can require the employee to wear a maid dress or a skirt or dress? Even if the employee is male. She has it written in her employment contract tha… read more
melissamesq
melissamesq
Attorney,
I am a temporary employee through a temp service-Safe
I am a temporary employee through a temp service-Safe Staffing in Cleveland, Ohio. I worked, until today-like an hour ago, at a factory--Green Innovations, for 14 months (as a temp). Usually companies… read more
Partner,
I am a part-time independent contractor for a courier company
I am a part-time independent contractor for a courier company in Minnesota – 1099 status. I have and wear a badge to identify myself when working for them. The company deducts $600 a year for their un… read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
I am a female pilot at a major airline for over 18 years.
I am a female pilot at a major airline for over 18 years. I have never had a disciplinary action and recently had a complimentary letter placed in my file. My issue is that I am being call in to discu… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
I am a safety officer (security) for a school district in Illinois.
I am a safety officer (security) for a school district in Illinois. Can my employer make me wear a full uniform to and from work when I am not getting paid? Usually, I just wear a partial uniform (pan… read more
Employment Lawyer,
My employer is providing uniforms and laundry services to all
My employer is providing uniforms and laundry services to all employees except me. Their reason is that my uniforms will have to be custom made special order. I am 6 foot 5 and have extra long legs an… read more
Lawyer,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
In California- if a physician requires his staff to wear scrubs
In California- if a physician requires his staff to wear scrubs (depts are color coded) and the scrubs will have the company logo on the scrub top & lab jackets; is the financial responsibility of the… read more
As an employer in the state of NJ I know I cannot make employees
As an employer in the state of NJ I know I cannot make employees pay for uniforms that have our logo on it or if it cannot be streetwear. Is there any law in NJ stating an employer has to pay for the … read more
Lawyer,
I work in a hospital and of course we are required to wear
I work in a hospital and of course we are required to wear a uniform / scrubs. My employer recently decided we were going to change the colors of our uniforms. They are not giving us any uniform pay. … read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
We have locations in Alabama, California, Connecticut, Illinois,
We have locations in Alabama, California, Connecticut, Illinois, and New Jersey. Can we require employees to wear black pants without having to "provide them"? Additionally, can we specify pants must … read more
I am working at a hospital in LaPorte Indiana. We just had
I am working at a hospital in LaPorte Indiana. We just had to change uniforms 1 1/2 years ago and they gave us no help with the cost. We were bought by an Indianapolis Hospital and now they are mandat… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
In Texas, can your employer make you wear a uniform If so,
In Texas, can your employer make you wear a uniform? If so, do they have to provide the uniform? Can they tell you what articals of the uniform are not required, but dictate the style and color if you… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
can a tanning salon require you to be tan, and buy their tanning
can a tanning salon require you to be tan, and buy their tanning systems in order to get a job with them? isn't it in essence, making a person alter their skin tone, and paying to work there?… read more
Attorney,
I work at a grocery store where I often get sent out to pick
I work at a grocery store where I often get sent out to pick up the grocery carts from the parking lots. It's about to be winter and it's getting very cold, the lows have been down to 48 farenheit. My… read more
Lawyer,
I want my employees to wear a uniform to our medical facilitie
I want my employees to wear a uniform to our medical facilitie without me being resposnible to pay for them. They already wear the normal garment associtated with the medical field but I don't like th… read more
I work in a drs office in PA where they wear uniforms. My
I work in a dr's office in PA where they wear uniforms. My father passed away last year & as a sign of respect my culture believes that we should wear black & white. My srvs has demanded that I stop w… read more
Lawyer,
If my employer is going to require me to wear a black polo
If my employer is going to require me to wear a "black" polo shirt with the company logo and "khaki" (they clarified meaning tan) pants every day fall under the Uniform definition according to Califor… read more
I was recently terminated by my employer b/c the mower rolled
I was recently terminated by my employer b/c the mower rolled into the pond when I get off of it (I set the brake) to "whip" the greens. My employer requires and issued uniforms for us to wear. I neve… read more
Employment lawyer,