Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Can I file harassment charges against my boss if the harassment

Customer Question

Can I file harassment charges against my boss if the harassment is not based on race, age, religion, national origin, disability, or age? He simply harasses me because he does not like me. It has been incessant for over three years now. It has created more than a hostile work environment. It has reduced the amount of money I am able to make. And recently it has lead to a demotion. Now I'm unable to pay my bills and am scared that I'm going to loose my job.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Jagcorps_esq :

Regrettably there is no present law against such treatment in the U.S.

Jagcorps_esq :

Some states are considering workplace dignity laws that would allow such a claim, but there are none that have passed at this time.

Jagcorps_esq :

The only way that you would have a claim is if you have a contract of employment stating that you can only be terminated for cause.

Jagcorps_esq :

That would give you a legal right to your job and reasonable enjoyment of that job.

Jagcorps_esq :

This harassment could be said to be a breach of that contract.

Jagcorps_esq :

Without the contract though or an illegal motivation for the harassment, there is no legal recourse.

Jagcorps_esq :

Do you have other questions or comments for me to consider?

JACUSTOMER-hbkj3fwu- :

nope.

Jagcorps_esq :

Ok. Sorry that I can't give you a different answer.

Jagcorps_esq :

Take care.

My system tells me that this question requires action on my part.

I have answered the question as fully as possible with the facts that you originally gave.

If you have any further clarifications or questions, please let me know by replying.