Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can you collect unemployment and your pension at the same time.

Customer Question
I am going to be...
Can you collect unemployment and your pension at the same time. I am going to be laid off 10/8/10 and am eligible to retire from my company.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Employment Law
9/15/2010
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that you are getting laid off.

CA law requires that, to collect unemployment, you must be willing and able to work, unemployed through no fault of your own, and actively looking for work. You cannot be both involuntarily unemployed and retired. However, you may qualify for unemployment while collecting a pension if you are actively looking for work and intend to accept a position if offered. In that situation, your weekly unemployment benefit would be reduced by the amount of the pension.

When you file a claim, EDD will tell you the exact benefit amount that you are eligible to receive. For more information on filing a claim, click here.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer