How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am curious if an employer can reduce your wages as discipline

Customer Question

I am curious if an employer can reduce your wages as discipline for errors on time cards, like misdating the time sheet (2 sheets with the same date).
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. I am not your attorney and cannot give you specific legal advice, However, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Unfortunately the employer may dock your pay based upon violations in the workplace provided he does not do so for illegal reasons.

I will explain

Absent a written agreement to the contrary, an employee can be treated differently or discriminated against for any reason, as long as the reason is not prohibited by law.
Federal laws prohibit employment discrimination on the grounds of race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability,past, current, or future military obligations, FMLA usage or filing a workers compensation claim.

If you think that your treatment was based one of these protected areas you may have an actionable claim against your employer.

To make a claim against your employer, you must file a "charge of discrimination" with the EEOC. The charge must be filed by mail or in person with a local EEOC office within 180 days from the date of the alleged violation.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I thought in washington state the employer may not may deductions from your wages if it benefits the company financially.
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
That is not correct. I was aware you were in Washington state when I answered your question. My answers stands
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
To clarify, if the employer is withholding wages as a disciplinary measure, that generally violates state and federal wage and hour laws.