How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cowgirl Lawyer Your Own Question
Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years. Labor and Employment. Former Administrative Law Judge.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Cowgirl Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What constitutes workplace I work for federal govt., was about

Resolved Question:

What constitutes workplace? I work for federal govt., was about to enter front door of workplace, made sudden move to catch door before it closed and tore meniscus in knee. Is there anything there?
Submitted: 7 years ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 7 years ago.

Every case turns on the fine details. Thus, I cannot give you a definitive answer based upon one sentence of information. However, it is not uncommon for workers to receive compensation for injuries sustained outside their employer's building, whether in the parking lot, the front entry, or some other portion of the premises.

It would be a good idea for you to have an in-office consultation with a workers compensation attorney to go over the details of your particular situation and injury. Workers compensation lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that you don't have to come up with a retainer fee nor pay them by the hour. If an attorney accepts your case on a contingency fee basis, that attorney is paid a percentage of your ultimate settlement or award. It would be worth your while to schedule a consultation with a local attorney to review your case.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT. I do not get paid for my work unless you click ACCEPT. Like you, I cannot work for free.

Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Cowgirl Lawyer."

Good luck and best wishes!

Cowgirl Lawyer

IMPORTANT: I am not your attorney, and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights. My function here is to provide education to the public so that people can understand the law. If you accept my answer, you are accepting educational information. Please remember that this is a public forum. Anything you discuss here is not protected by attorney-client privilege. Do not take any action or fail to take action based upon our discussion here. I am an experienced attorney licensed in Illinois, but I do not hold myself out as an "expert" in any area of law (Illinois does not recognize such attorney specializations). Any representation to the contrary by JustAnswer is in error. You should consult with an attorney in your area for specific advice relevant to your situation.

Cowgirl Lawyer and 3 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you