Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am an RN at the Memphis VA Medical Center and I work

evening and night shifts. The...
I am an RN at the Memphis VA Medical Center and I work evening and night shifts. The Quimby et al v United States class action lawsuit for VA RNs is discussed at www.vabackpay.com. The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations Title 5 532.505e states we are to be paid shift differential when we take leave with pay which is Annual leave (vacation), sick leave, or military leave. This suit covers from Sept 5,1995 to the present. We know Housekeeping personnel have been paid for years their shift differential when they take leave with pay. VA knew they owed us RNs differential pay, but chose to ignore Federal law.
Attorney Letchner told us via email that the govt. lost the case, but has not made known their intention to pay the back pay or appeal the case. Is there anything we can do? How long can VA drag this case out? Help!
8/1/2010
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney

If you all haven't sued on your own behalf, (or are a member of the Class action) now may be the time to do so. They may not pay you until you do. I am assuming here that you were not part of the seminal case you note?

While it would be nice if the VA started paying everyone you pointed out that case, their differential, but there are no guaranteed - they will very possibly only pay the nurses involved in that case. However, since the RNs won that case, it will be easier to sue them for you differential, assuming the facts support you, because the law has now been clarified. And if you are IN that case, all the better, because at least you know eventually you will be paid.

ANd yes, appeals can take many, many years. Hopefully they will not appeal, but there are no guarantees.

Coming from a family of RNs, I know how hard you work in an extremely stressful environment. I'm glad you will be getting some justice, although as we know, justice moves slow.

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day.

I failed to tell you that we did sign up to be included in the class action lawsuit when it was offered to us at www.vabackpay.com last year on Oct 12,2009 by Mr Lechner.
Excellent! So when the matter is said and done (uggh, I know), you should be paid without further ado, rather than having to sue based on that new precedent. I know it is very hard to be patient - but maybe you can look at this this way, if you have the money in hand (when it should have been, in a perfect world), it would likely have been spent. We have a funny way of spending more when we have more. Now, you can get a bigger chunck, all at once, put it in an IRA, etc. or somethingthat will work for you and your future economic wellbeing - rather than look back and say, I wish I had an IRA :), I wish I had tightened up and saved more... Just a way to look at it and see the positive.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney