Employment Law

came to florida august 2008 for job stated 36 hours work, 40…

came to florida august 2008...
came to florida august 2008 for job stated 36 hours work, 40 paid, work mon-wed 6p to 6a one month, thurs-sat 6p to 6a next month, rotating. never was paid for 40 as stated. trained new helper. feb 2009 all took 12 1/2% cut, to be discussed in 6 months. never was. not paid night bonus. make same as day shift. they have experienced help. helper... Read full answer
came to florida august 2008 for job stated 36 hours work, 40 paid, work mon-wed 6p to 6a one month, thurs-sat 6p to 6a next month, rotating. never was paid for 40 as stated. trained new helper. feb 2009 all took 12 1/2% cut, to be discussed in 6 months. never was. not paid night bonus. make same as day shift. they have experienced help. helper left in may, due to poor working conditions, being sent home when no work. had weeks we worked one day. agreed to take inexperienced helper with understanding if he did not work out, would be replaced. stated he lost last job due to big mouth. walked out twice, including rare sat. night for must do job. supevisor agreed to fire. on monday, i show up, he is there. refuse to work with him, due to argumentative attitude. they fire, walk out in shop and replace him with man visiting sister. he works two weeks ,see tryingto learn job is overwhelming, tells me he quits. i find new worker with experience, he works two days, says he does't need job that bad. boss and manager yelling at workers, yelling at me for alleged defect in job we could not find. i was sent home for a week in april, told owner if he could not give me full time job, i would like to be laid off. lost son here in 2008, know no one. wanna go home to family. he said be patient. we are sending people home rotating weeks to make payroll. i have asked to meet with owner twice. he refuses. asked supervisor to give him message for me about lay-off, no result. he yells at meand walks out while I am asking for specifics about problem. i tell comptroller situation, he says, thats how grant is, i say unacceptable, company going out of business, selling equipment, no need for me to go all the way down with them, please lay me off. supervisor calls next day and leaves message, "do not come in, we are alying you off." I call compt, he gives varying reasons up to poor performance. have nightly reports showing production did not suffer, even with new help. typical scenario is to bring in new workers on days for week to acclimatize them to sop's. tried to maitain machine, they will not, it is falling apart. $5,ooo,ooo press, needs care. really hard to run. they will not listen to any suggestions from anyone. can i get unemployment? i am moving back to indy, how do i take it there?
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/20/2010
Judith
Judith, Employment Lawyer

Hello. Thank you for submitting your question and allowing me to assist you.

Yes you should be able to get unemployment if you meet all the qualifications. You were involuntarily terminated -- you did not quit. After some research, it appears that if you move to Indiana you will be able to continue to collect benefits if you qualify for them in Florida. You need to contact the Indiana Unemployment Benefits Office immediately upon moving so that the paperwork can be done. Take all your information from Florida with you to show the office in Indiana.

Best of Luck I hope this information provides some guidance for you. Please remember to click on the ACCEPT button so I will get paid. If you have questions in the future you may request me and I will be happy to assist.

Judith
Judith, Employment Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My son has been verbally harassed at work since he was hired
My son has been verbally harassed at work since he was hired over a year ago with a co-worker that is training him to be a machinist he is also being under paid and we would like to know what can be d… read more
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Member,
, I am a nurse anesthetist of 40 yrs. One of the last
hello, I am a nurse anesthetist of 40 yrs. One of the last hospitals I worked with about 5 yrs ago Even though I worked there for 4 years and had never taken a sick day and worked my five days a week.… read more
Hello I am new at a job I just started and I Believe I am being
Hello I am new at a job I just started and I Believe I am being harassed and treated unfairly. I work for a oil field company and one person has to stay in basket at all times sometimes and one night … read more
Attorney Wayne
Attorney Wayne
Attorney-at-Law,
Stop searching for answers—
Hello, My company asked me to resign. I asked if they could
Hello, My company asked me to resign. I asked if they could lay me off instead. They said they could not lay me off because they still had funding for my position for 6 months. They said if I did not … read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
I am a manager with BofA and I normally work 5 days a week
I am a manager with BofA and I normally work 5 days a week with 2 days off, for the past year due to a shortage of managers and no back fill we have been placed in a rotation pool to work on a Sat or … read more
i was forced after 20 years of operating a standard box machine
i was forced after 20 years of operating a standard box machine or flexographic machine rsc to a flexo diecutter because of the economy,In a week i was running this computerized flexo die cutter,the c… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Company that makes copper tubing has been running day and night
Company that makes copper tubing has been running day and night shift work and is no wanting to run shifts as follows for all workers. 2 days on day time, no day off, 2 days on 2nd shift, no day off, … read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
I am a Licensed practical nurse, I work for the state of Louisiana
I am a Licensed practical nurse, I work for the state of Louisiana for five years on 7/22/11 I was given a letter stating that I was being layed off due to budget cuts and my job position was no longe… read more
Attorney,
I was recently laid off after 10 years of service for a Non
I was recently laid off after 10 years of service for a Non Profit Org. After ten years of working in front of a PC, I began developing pain to my back, pain in my arms, and hands. Severe pain. An X r… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
I was terminated after close to 3 years of employment. I had
I was terminated after close to 3 years of employment. I had recently developed arthritis in my right hip which was getting increasingly worse so I was taken off the ambulance. I was discouraged by my… read more
Lawyer,
My husband works for a global company that requires him to
My husband works for a global company that requires him to travel and a lot of overtime. Non salary. The company is based in California. They are trying to cut costs with this particular group of inst… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I am an IT worker in NY (tech support) I install operating
I am an IT worker in NY (tech support) I install operating systems when told, create user accounts etc. I am not an administrator, Manager or programmer. The last two years i have worked 44 - 52 hours… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
Good Evening. I work as an executive level position for a small
Good Evening. I work as an executive level position for a small family owned comany. On a daily basis, we are forced into a conference room for hours at a time. During these meetings, we are chastised… read more
Partner,
I work for a major retail organization. I was being mistreated
I work for a major retail organization. I was being mistreated by my regional supervisor, I started to get depressed (could not eat sleep and lost 20 pounds)so I called my regional hr office to let th… read more
Partner,
I need to know if I have a case against my former employer.
I need to know if I have a case against my former employer. I am an emt and I was dispatched to a call where the patient was paralyzed and living upstairs in his brothers home. we were asked to carry … read more
Partner,
At what point do exempt workers become non-exempt Our company
At what point do exempt workers become non-exempt? Our company has required 2 past 'furlough' weeks this year and is now telling us we must take a 3rd week. Earlier this year, the plant was not runnin… read more
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer
Attorney,
My sister was the GM at a hotel for a little over a yr...the
My sister was the GM at a hotel for a little over a yr...the owner would continuelly cuzed her out when he was mad...he'd go into these ragges and would go off on her over and over and over again unti… read more
Experienced Attorney
Experienced Attorney
Type your question hereTo whom it may concern, ...
Type your question hereTo whom it may concern, I was hired at Triumph Hospital,Mansfield,OH in March,at 10.00 per hour as a housekeeper.I specifically was hired for weekends.Sat. and Sun. 6a-6p with a… read more
Lawyer Bob
Lawyer Bob