Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My employer suspended me without pay, pending investigation.

My employer is alleging that...
My employer suspended me without pay, pending investigation. My employer is alleging that I stole money from the company without any proof. What rights do I have? What legal action can I take?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/12/2010
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances.

1. Do you have a written employment agreement or contract with your employer?

2. Do you belong to a union?

3. Do you work for a governmental agency or a private company?
Not sure what you mean about an employment agreeent or contract?

This is non union

This is a private company
Under the collective circumstances you've described, I am afraid that you have no rights.

You are an at-will employee. This means that you can quit at any time and your employer can't do anything about it. It also means that your employer can suspend or terminate you at any time and there's nothing you can do about it.

I know that it may seem to be unfair and unjust. However, that is the nature of "at will" employment. You serve at the will, or whim, of the employer.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer