How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer suspended me without pay, pending investigation.

This answer was rated:

My employer suspended me without pay, pending investigation. My employer is alleging that I stole money from the company without any proof. What rights do I have? What legal action can I take?
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances.

1. Do you have a written employment agreement or contract with your employer?

2. Do you belong to a union?

3. Do you work for a governmental agency or a private company?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not sure what you mean about an employment agreeent or contract?

This is non union

This is a private company
Under the collective circumstances you've described, I am afraid that you have no rights.

You are an at-will employee. This means that you can quit at any time and your employer can't do anything about it. It also means that your employer can suspend or terminate you at any time and there's nothing you can do about it.

I know that it may seem to be unfair and unjust. However, that is the nature of "at will" employment. You serve at the will, or whim, of the employer.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
JB Umphrey and 3 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you